Premed 101 Forums

I am applying to these American medical schools. How do my chances look?

I am applying to:

Wayne

Loma Linda (I am Christian)

Central Michigan

Rosalind Franklin

MC of Wisconsin

Michigan State

NYMC

Penn State

UC Davis

Louisville

Quillen Tennessee

I have received secondaries from all but the last 3 schools listed above.

My science GPA is 3.80, and my total GPA is 3.84. My MCAT is 511: 129/124/129/129. I am part Cuban and part Puerto Rican (I believe this classifies as URM), born in Russia, but live in Canada.

For EC's, I have 500 hours of volunteering in a hospital one-on-one with elderly patients where I do exercise and metal activities with them, I volunteered 100+ hours in research review and I expect to have my name published in the final article, I was a peer mentor for a neuropsychology course (the professor wrote a LoR for me), I am president of Russian-speaking club in my university, I shadowed two doctors for a total of 40 hours, fundraised for ~70 hours, worked for 3000 hours at restaurants as a waiter, do bodybuilding,  volunteered with children at a library, volunteered as a personal trainer assistant at a gym and health club, have a youth black belt, was a team captain for my university's rowing team and got in first place in this major championship race, and have been playing the piano since I was 5 and sometimes I play and sing for my church.

I think my primary and secondaries are at least average.

How do things look so far?

Thank you

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

What about Oakland? I would take a look at other forum threads and see what other Canadian friendly schools are and apply to a few more.

I don't think they take Canadian students, unfortunately. I just checked their website and they only want U.S citizens or permanent residents.

You're a Canadian by citizenship but is Cuban/Puerto Rican and Russian, right? 

Your stats/ECs are fantastic. Great shadowing, clinical, nice GPA, ok MCAT (for a Canadian) - I think you can throw in couple more reach schools? Not Tennessee though, I don't think they actually take internationals. 

19 minutes ago, Serendi said:

You're a Canadian by citizenship but is Cuban/Puerto Rican and Russian, right? 

Your stats/ECs are fantastic. Great shadowing, clinical, nice GPA, ok MCAT (for a Canadian) - I think you can throw in couple more reach schools? Not Tennessee though, I don't think they actually take internationals. 

Yes that's correct. I live in Canada but was born in Russia and have Cuban/Puerto Rican background.

I have actually received a rejection letter from Tennessee, so I guess that's that. I am not sure what schools to add; I've used MSAR and picked out the schools that matriculate OOS and international students with my stats.

I also forgot to mention that I am going to finish my secondary applications before the end of August, so I am not sure how that will affect my chances.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:48 AM, MedSchoolApplicant123 said:

I am applying to:

Wayne

Loma Linda (I am Christian)

Central Michigan

Rosalind Franklin

MC of Wisconsin

Michigan State

NYMC

Penn State

UC Davis

Louisville

Quillen Tennessee

I have received secondaries from all but the last 3 schools listed above.

My science GPA is 3.80, and my total GPA is 3.84. My MCAT is 511: 129/124/129/129. I am part Cuban and part Puerto Rican (I believe this classifies as URM), born in Russia, but live in Canada.

For EC's, I have 500 hours of volunteering in a hospital one-on-one with elderly patients where I do exercise and metal activities with them, I volunteered 100+ hours in research review and I expect to have my name published in the final article, I was a peer mentor for a neuropsychology course (the professor wrote a LoR for me), I am president of Russian-speaking club in my university, I shadowed two doctors for a total of 40 hours, fundraised for ~70 hours, worked for 3000 hours at restaurants as a waiter, do bodybuilding,  volunteered with children at a library, volunteered as a personal trainer assistant at a gym and health club, have a youth black belt, was a team captain for my university's rowing team and got in first place in this major championship race, and have been playing the piano since I was 5 and sometimes I play and sing for my church.

I think my primary and secondaries are at least average.

How do things look so far?

Thank you

Apply to NYU for free tuition,georgetown and apply to Tulane university. Also Ivy leagues 

US schools love URMs (Puerto Ricans) especially if you can demonstrate the language skills. I think you can aim higher with your status - at least that's what applies to URM Americans. 

I think you can add schools like: Tulane, VCU, GW, SUNY-Upstate, Maryland, SLU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, Emory, Einstein. If you have the ca$h, throw in apps to Pitts, Mayo, UCLA, Case, Boston, Cornell and such. Maybe Puerto Rico schools as well.

Take out these schools if you hadnt finished their secondaries: Louisville, Loma Linda (unless you're a devout, devout Christian/SDA), UC Davis.

Finishing secondaries by the end of this month should be fine. 

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, strawberryjams said:

Apply to NYU for free tuition,georgetown and apply to Tulane university. Also Ivy leagues 

NYU has very high average GPA and MCAT matriculant scores.

Looking at MSAR scores, Georgetown and Tulane have the following MCAT score breakdowns for accepted OOS students, respectively:

image.png.48a990ccf353c90f8514ea257826aa77.png

image.png.d9c616f826163b7d7ee4879d1fd9de6b.png

The cyan bars on each end represent section score ranges within which 10 percent of accepted students would land (if my understanding is correct). My CARS score is 124. I don't fit within the lower 10 percent, unfortunately, so I do not think it is useful to apply but I may be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Serendi said:

US schools love URMs (Puerto Ricans) especially if you can demonstrate the language skills. I think you can aim higher with your status - at least that's what applies to URM Americans. 

I think you can add schools like: Tulane, VCU, GW, SUNY-Upstate, Maryland, SLU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, Emory, Einstein. If you have the ca$h, throw in apps to Pitts, Mayo, UCLA, Case, Boston, Cornell and such. Maybe Puerto Rico schools as well.

Take out these schools if you hadnt finished their secondaries: Louisville, Loma Linda (unless you're a devout, devout Christian/SDA), UC Davis.

Finishing secondaries by the end of this month should be fine. 

Good luck! 

I have looked at the MSAR statistics for all of the schools listed. Looking at the CARS score ranges, any of the schools accept students with higher scores than mine, and I would guess that those ranges include URM students as well. I might add Stony Brook, Saint Louis, SUNY, and Tulane, but their CARS score ranges show that the lower 10th percentile is still above 125 (whereas mine is 124). I might have an incorrect understanding of how the MSAR statistics work, but I do not want to lose too much money applying to schools that do not take students with my scores.

Archived