Premed 101 Forums

Be Brutally Honest (Re: CARS)

Hi all,

I rewrote the MCAT this summer and managed to boost my previously terrible CARS score (which will not be named lol) to a 127. Please, no sugarcoating, what are my chances in Ontario?

My Stats:
-4th year applicant (this cycle)
-cGPA: ~3.99 (took a full course-load every year)
-MCAT rewrite: 130/127/131/130 (518 overall)
-ECs: I know this depends a lot on how you word the entries, but I have been actively seeking out feedback for the past 6 months since last cycle's rejections. Most feedback has been positive (I think my sub-125 CARS from last cycle was the main factor holding me back). I would consider these above average; quite a few long-term commitments & ~6000-7000 hours total (employment, volunteering, extracurriculars)
-No special geographic advantages like SWOMEN (Western) or northern rural (NOSM). IP for Ontario.
I didn't get an interview at Ottawa last cycle with my stats, so maybe my CASPer wasn't great. Hoping to improve that this cycle.

Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

~Doc Ock

Overall your chances are still good. It's a bit hard with 127 for Mac but definitely not impossible especially since you're IP. You have the GPA but you'd have to make it up with Casper. I believe going through a second time you will improve. 

You meet the cutoffs for UofT and have a good GPA so it will depend on the more subjective aspects like ECs and essays. 

As you said you should try again at Ottawa by taking another shot at Casper, since the rest looks good.  

I believe you would have met the somewhat secretive MCAT cutoffs for Queens also so good chance there too. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Octavius said:

Hi all,

I rewrote the MCAT this summer and managed to boost my previously terrible CARS score (which will not be named lol) to a 127. Please, no sugarcoating, what are my chances in Ontario?

My Stats:
-4th year applicant (this cycle)
-cGPA: ~3.99 (took a full course-load every year)
-MCAT rewrite: 130/127/131/130 (518 overall)
-ECs: I know this depends a lot on how you word the entries, but I have been actively seeking out feedback for the past 6 months since last cycle's rejections. Most feedback has been positive (I think my sub-125 CARS from last cycle was the main factor holding me back). I would consider these above average; quite a few long-term commitments & ~6000-7000 hours total (employment, volunteering, extracurriculars)
-No special geographic advantages like SWOMEN (Western) or northern rural (NOSM). IP for Ontario.
I didn't get an interview at Ottawa last cycle with my stats, so maybe my CASPer wasn't great. Hoping to improve that this cycle.

Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

~Doc Ock

You have good chances tbh at mac uoft and ottawa depending on ur casper.

Archived