Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys,

I'm OOP, and I currently have a weighted GPA of 90.84. I think my ECs are average. At 90.84, do my ECs need to be exceptional in order to obtain an interview? Last year, the average for OOP was 91.44; if that's the average, a fair amount of interviewees should have had a lower average (according to my lackluster stats intuition, anyway). But perusing the Accepted thread, I got the impression that a GPA less than 92 rarely cinched an interview. I know it's impossible to predict outcomes in this crazy process, but applying to UBC requires quite a bit of effort on my part, what with having to take an English course. I don't want to take a shot in the dark! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, obiwankenobi said:

Hey guys,

I'm OOP, and I currently have a weighted GPA of 90.84. I think my ECs are average. At 90.84, do my ECs need to be exceptional in order to obtain an interview? Last year, the average for OOP was 91.44; if that's the average, a fair amount of interviewees should have had a lower average (according to my lackluster stats intuition, anyway). But perusing the Accepted thread, I got the impression that a GPA less than 92 rarely cinched an interview. I know it's impossible to predict outcomes in this crazy process, but applying to UBC requires quite a bit of effort on my part, what with having to take an English course. I don't want to take a shot in the dark! 

I would definitely apply - your GPA is good and you can never be sure of what this cycles averages will look like. Write your ECs well. Totally understand it takes a lot of work, but the process of applying to medical schools in itself is a shot in the dark! :) good luck with the app!

Archived