Premed 101 Forums

Lasik MD Discount as a PGY1 in Ontario

Do we get one through PARO? I can't seem to find any mention of it. 

I've also noticed that I'm still able to log into CFMS and that I can print out a Lasik MD discount card, although it lists my graduating year as 2018. I am wondering if anyone has had any success in using this even after starting residency. How long are we technically a part of the CFMS until anyways (graduation month vs. time the next academic year starts, etc.)?

EDIT: Just noticed I posted in the wrong subforum, but hopeful for replies here anyways. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, Let'sGo1990 said:

Do we get one through PARO? I can't seem to find any mention of it. 

I've also noticed that I'm still able to log into CFMS and that I can print out a Lasik MD discount card, although it lists my graduating year as 2018. I am wondering if anyone has had any success in using this even after starting residency. How long are we technically a part of the CFMS until anyways (graduation month vs. time the next academic year starts, etc.)?

EDIT: Just noticed I posted in the wrong subforum, but hopeful for replies here anyways. 

Hey they give 50% discounts to resident physicians . I got it in beginning of pgy1 and showed them the cfms discount card. Even without cfms card, it would have worked out fine.

It's definitely worth it. If you are going to surgical or radiology specialties I would recommend against Lasik for obvious reasons . Otherwise good luck 

5 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

Hey they give 50% discounts to resident physicians . I got it in beginning of pgy1 and showed them the cfms discount card. Even without cfms card, it would have worked out fine.

It's definitely worth it. If you are going to surgical or radiology specialties I would recommend against Lasik for obvious reasons . Otherwise good luck 

Awesome. I'm going to go ahead with it. Can I ask where you got your surgery (if you don't want to answer publicly, you can PM me)?

18 minutes ago, Let'sGo1990 said:

Awesome. I'm going to go ahead with it. Can I ask where you got your surgery (if you don't want to answer publicly, you can PM me)?

I got it in downtown Toronto with one of the cofounder of Lasik MD, if they know that you are a medical student or resident, they automatically assign you to one of the two cofounders. 

3 hours ago, Let'sGo1990 said:

Really? I would have thought they would have issue with this. Have you personally done this or know of any specific examples?

I haven't used it yet, but I know the head of the downtown Toronto location and he made it seem very lax. They every much WANT to give that discount to as many med students/residents/staff as possible (it's their preferred method of advertisement), so they're not going to give you a giant hassle.

2 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

I haven't used it yet, but I know the head of the downtown Toronto location and he made it seem very lax. They every much WANT to give that discount to as many med students/residents/staff as possible (it's their preferred method of advertisement), so they're not going to give you a giant hassle.

Yeap, it definitely worked on me. I got some patients asked me if Lasik surgery was safe, and I said well, it definitely is lol

But seriously, if you are in a specialty that requires a lot of visual acuity, I won't go for LASIK for possible risks and complications. 

Archived