Premed 101 Forums

Does second degree have to be at a different university?

Hello, I know this is a pretty complicated question but please bear with me!

I am currently studying at the University of Waterloo in the Mathematics program but recently had a change heart and I would like to switch over into Psychology/Kinesiology so I can pursue either dental or medical school. Would the grades I received while in the Mathematics program affect my gpa calculation for medical/dental schools even though I am now in an entirely new program? The reason I am asking is because from my understanding courses taken in both my old and new program would be listed on my transcript since I am still attending the same university.

If it does affect my gpa, I am thinking of transferring to York University for Psychology/Kinesiology. The problem is, I also previously finished a degree in Business Administration at York University and I am worried that I would have face the same issues at York since I would be studying at the same university as my previous degree.

I am not sure if anyone would be able to address this question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, wolfofthe6ix said:

Hello, I know this is a pretty complicated question but please bear with me!

I am currently studying at the University of Waterloo in the Mathematics program but recently had a change heart and I would like to switch over into Psychology/Kinesiology so I can pursue either dental or medical school. Would the grades I received while in the Mathematics program affect my gpa calculation for medical/dental schools even though I am now in an entirely new program? The reason I am asking is because from my understanding courses taken in both my old and new program would be listed on my transcript since I am still attending the same university.

If it does affect my gpa, I am thinking of transferring to York University for Psychology/Kinesiology. The problem is, I also previously finished a degree in Business Administration at York University and I am worried that I would have face the same issues at York since I would be studying at the same university as my previous degree.

I am not sure if anyone would be able to address this question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

“Would the grades I received while in the Mathematics program affect my gpa calculation for medical/dental schools even though I am now in an entirely new program?”

Yes. Different med schools have different gpa calculations though so the impact of those grades vary between schools depending on where you apply. The same goes for your previous BBA, those grades could also impact your gpa depending on what med schools you apply to. 

Some med schools will only look at your last 2 or best 2 years of whatever the school considers a full course load. Examples are Queen’s, Western and Dal. Other med schools look at every course grade you’ve ever gotten in your gpa such as MAC. Others have different weighting schemes that will drop a certain number of courses from your gpa (if you meet the requirement for this), such as UofT. 

Generally you must submit transcripts from every course/degree you’ve ever completed at every university you’ve been to when you apply to med. Not doing so could result in an invalid application or rescinding of an admission offer.

As an answer to your title question, no your second degree does not have to be at a different university. I don’t think that’s really what you’re asking though?

1 hour ago, Rahvin13 said:

“Would the grades I received while in the Mathematics program affect my gpa calculation for medical/dental schools even though I am now in an entirely new program?”

Yes. Different med schools have different gpa calculations though so the impact of those grades vary between schools depending on where you apply. The same goes for your previous BBA, those grades could also impact your gpa depending on what med schools you apply to. 

Some med schools will only look at your last 2 or best 2 years of whatever the school considers a full course load. Examples are Queen’s, Western and Dal. Other med schools look at every course grade you’ve ever gotten in your gpa such as MAC. Others have different weighting schemes that will drop a certain number of courses from your gpa (if you meet the requirement for this), such as UofT. 

Generally you must submit transcripts from every course/degree you’ve ever completed at every university you’ve been to when you apply to med. Not doing so could result in an invalid application or rescinding of an admission offer.

As an answer to your title question, no your second degree does not have to be at a different university. I don’t think that’s really what you’re asking though?

Sorry, my bad I wasn’t clear enough. I’m asking because some medical schools and dental schools like McGill (if you have 45 credits in second degree) and University of Toronto (if you do three years in second degree) look exclusively at your second degree marks. My problem is I’m currently enrolled in the Mathematics program at Waterloo, so I am worried that even if I transferred over to a different program, the marks I received in mathematics would affect my second degree gpa since I am changing programs midway... 

3 hours ago, wolfofthe6ix said:

Sorry, my bad I wasn’t clear enough. I’m asking because some medical schools and dental schools like McGill (if you have 45 credits in second degree) and University of Toronto (if you do three years in second degree) look exclusively at your second degree marks. My problem is I’m currently enrolled in the Mathematics program at Waterloo, so I am worried that even if I transferred over to a different program, the marks I received in mathematics would affect my second degree gpa since I am changing programs midway... 

As long as the marks in math aren’t included in the number of credits that the med school is looking at. A ‘degree’ is based on credit number and meeting the program requirements. 

So if you switched from math to psychology, your school would take the credits you earned in math and use them to meet the elective requirements (and any core requirements if applicable) for psychology. If the med school looks at the second degree in entirety then yes those marks you had from math would count towards your gpa. It doesn’t matter if you switched programs or not because those math credits are still part of your psych degree. 

If the med school doesn’t look at the second degree in its entirety (like Dal, Queens, Western) then only the credits they look at will be counted. So if your last 2 years of full time study are all psych courses then your math grades wouldn’t be included in your gpa.

Toronto isn't one of those schools. They will look at everything using their wGPA formula if it applies. 

For Western it would be a bit interesting I think because you haven't graduated with the math degree. So this isn't a second degree situation yet. All of the years in Math and all of the years in psych could be used to find out your best two years (Queens is last two years or all years  so under one of those your math credits won't count). It would also have implications on the school's rules on course load (3/5 at the right level). You may be able to talk to western about that and see if they have done anything differently - that could maybe help you though if you have say one really good math year as an example. The good news about Western is the switch cannot hurt you in the sense that they still just take the best 2 years.

Archived