Premed 101 Forums

ECs that look good for both the personal profile and med school

Hey guys, I’m really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I’ve been a longtime lurker and just created an account. I’m going into grade 11, so yes. I’m not really supposed to be here. Anyways what are some good extra curricular that will look good on the personal profile and if I decide to apply to med school in the future. I’m assuming that something in the medical field would be the best. But most med related volunteering requires you to be over the age of 18. 

It’s awesome that’s youre interested in medicine so early! There is really no wrong way to go with extra curriculars, do stuff that interest you that you would consider continuing and growing in for the long term. Leadership is another great thing to develop in your senior high school years.

Make sure you keep your grades up but also have fun and keep your interests open you may end up liking something more than med! 

It's not about what looks good on the application, rather its about being authentic to yourself. Follow your interests. Google CanMEDS competencies and those are what you strive for. You want to demonstrate compassion, show long term commitment and dedication, be collaborative, etc. in your ECs, volunteering and work. Be kind and humble. This is a marathon! Welcome. :P 

Archived