Premed 101 Forums

Adding Awards

Hey guys, 

Just out of curiosity, what is people's opinion on adding awards/scholarships that I was offered coming out of high school but did not accept. Is it better to add those than leave that section pretty much blank (i.e. i have one or two awards otherwise to add there)?

1 hour ago, Hoodie said:

Hey guys, 

Just out of curiosity, what is people's opinion on adding awards/scholarships that I was offered coming out of high school but did not accept. Is it better to add those than leave that section pretty much blank (i.e. i have one or two awards otherwise to add there)?

Personally I’d only add awards and scholarships that you actually accepted, because that is what I’ve generally found people expect to see for awards on a CV in other areas of academia. And it just feels more honest to me. There’s no issue with having only one or two awards. Many applicants invited for interviews will leave that section totally blank.

Edit: And after I thought to check, I see the help guide also says not to include them. So there’s your answer! https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/help-guide-2018-2019/

On 8/28/2018 at 12:08 AM, Hoodie said:

Hey guys, 

You can mention it, and put ( respectfully declined) . Leaving it empty would make them think that you didn't have any awards. 

15 hours ago, neodyme said:

You can mention it, and put ( respectfully declined) . Leaving it empty would make them think that you didn't have any awards. 

yeah but as mentioned by frenchpress, the help guide explicitly says not to include them! just an fyi!

Archived