Premed 101 Forums

USMLE Step 1

Was looking through this trying to see what resources are best for this test - not sure I am going to write it yet but I am here in the US and there is a good chance I could for a while stay as staff after ending my fellowships if I have the right visa - and that means the USMLEs. Now unlike most people I don't need to do well on the USMLEs at all due to where I have reached in my training, but keeping doors open isn't a bad idea. The USMLE never fit into my schedule until now. I am in the US for 2 years and compared to residency this is a lot less work (particular PGY5 ha). 

So for those doing something this or have done it - what would be good resources for the test?

21 minutes ago, GrouchoMarx said:

Sdn and Reddit/medicalschool

Step 1 is ufap

Step 2 is u

Cs is fa cs

Step 3 is u

doesn't sound much different that 10 years ago in my search ha. 

People really like the UWorld series more than Kaplan. Ha just on page count Kaplan you think would be more complete. 

Fortunately Harvard has a pretty complete library for this sort of thing. 

M4 here at USMD school. Throwing my 2 cents in.

step 1: UFAP + Sketchy micro 

Step 2CK: Onlinemeded + annotated Uworld x 2, revisit sketchy micro. Reread the high yield section in FA for step 1 (my ck had a lot of step 1 type qs)

Step 2CS: FA for  CS. Uworld is also really good to practice writing notes. Read what is actually important for the exam and understand what they are looking for (eg. physical exam counts for the least, so dont spend too much time on it. Notes are huge, so practice. Order only initial tests for a problem, not full blown workup)

9 minutes ago, distressedpremed said:

Good luck man - I hope it's easier as a resident writing it, because that's the next thing that I have to do. 

well not caring about the score kind of helps ha. Plus there is some basic science of course I haven't done in a long time but some sections I should be ok with (the anatomy section as an example)

we will see!

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, rmorelan said:

not sure I am going to write it yet but I am here in the US and there is a good chance I could for a while stay as staff after ending my fellowships if I have the right visa - and that means the USMLEs. 

Sorry for the late reply, but why do you think you'll need the USMLEs? I'm not totally convinced it's necessary for you. 

9 hours ago, Laika said:

Sorry for the late reply, but why do you think you'll need the USMLEs? I'm not totally convinced it's necessary for you. 

well there is a chance I will need to work in the US for a while and some of the states that I might work in require USMLEs in order for the medical license. Not to mention some of the visas I could use I suppose ha. The AI work that I do requires access to a particularly type of data lab of which there are none as of yet in Canada. To further develop my skills I need access to such a lab. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, uncharted1114 said:

At my school, SketchyMicro/SketchyPharm is another beloved resource in addition to UFAP.

Anyone know if SketchyPath is worthwhile in addition to UFAP? Can't decide if I should get the SketchyMedical subscription or just get SketchyMicro and SketchyPharm individually.

Archived