Premed 101 Forums

EC mun application

I was just wondering about the EC section on the MUN med application. I have many extracurriculars that are not necessarily structured activities for which I could provide a reference for. So should I just be including volunteer work and organized sports? Kind of a bummer because I am active in other ways but just not through a specific organization. 

Also it's nearly impossible to explain some of the things I do in my volunteer work in so little characters!!!! If anyone has any tips on how to concisely but effectively explain a volunteer position where you engage in multiple tasks, please let me know.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely mention these things- while they may not add directly to your application, they may give the reviewer some context about who you are, and perhaps make your application more "interesting" ... I don't see how hiking can hurt your application - you can mention the highlights for sake of space.. 

worst case scenario you can put a friend - I had no choice but to do that for a few items. I called the med schools to confirm if this is OK, as far as I remember there werent any issues

If you want to be safe, maybe ask a supervisor / boss / prof who knows you or chatted with you about hiking, may offer to share a few pictures to show for it.. these are tiny things that shouldn't be a problem, when it comes to research or actual structured activities expectations will be different.

Archived