Premed 101 Forums

wGPA assessed as cutoff or competitive?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew if wGPA was assessed as a cutoff or competitively PRE-INTERVIEW?

I was looking around the forum and  the opinions seems spread as some believe that wGPA is a cutoff only and ECs and CASPER is what determine your interview invite, while others believe that simply meeting the minimum wGPA cutoff gets you the file review then wGPA will be assessed competitively as one portion of the file review.

I believe it has a role in ranking you especially against others who scored the same on Casper and the ABS (tie-breaker). That said, there are people with 4.0’s who get rejected pre-interview, while the English stream saw people with 3.8_ being interviewed. Overwhelmingly your Casper and ABS will make or break you - if you meet cutoffs you should definitely apply. 

On 8/30/2018 at 8:46 PM, Executive-D said:

I believe it has a role in ranking you especially against others who scored the same on Casper and the ABS (tie-breaker). That said, there are people with 4.0’s who get rejected pre-interview, while the English stream saw people with 3.8_ being interviewed. Overwhelmingly your Casper and ABS will make or break you - if you meet cutoffs you should definitely apply. 

So, if GPA plays a role as a tie-breaker, then essentially it doesn't play a significant role in the pre-file review and just meeting their cut-of wGPA is enough? 

Kinda sucks to know that GPA isn't worth anything but a cut-off these days. :/ If CASPER and ABS is really worth a lot, it kind of troublesome, since a subjectivity bias can play a big role when these are being evaluated. Oh well, just got to follow the procedures and hope for the best. 

58 minutes ago, JustSoYouKnow said:

So, if GPA plays a role as a tie-breaker, then essentially it doesn't play a significant role in the pre-file review and just meeting their cut-of wGPA is enough? 

Kinda sucks to know that GPA isn't worth anything but a cut-off these days. :/ If CASPER and ABS is really worth a lot, it kind of troublesome, since a subjectivity bias can play a big role when these are being evaluated. Oh well, just got to follow the procedures and hope for the best. 

Ottawa doesn’t reveal their formula, so for all we know it could be similar to Mac (33, 33, 33%). My previous post is just my guess based on seeing and hearing about plenty of 4.0’s being rejected pre-interview. Obviously a 4.0 is going to work in your favour all throughout the process. Your high GPA was not for nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived