Premed 101 Forums
northo60

FM with Child Health +1 vs Pediatrics

Hi all, 

I am interested in doing either Family Medicine or a residency in Pediatrics. I recently found out that Western has a +1 in Child Health. Has anyone done a Child Health +1 who can compare it to a peds residency? If a FMD can tailor their practice and only see peds pts, what would be the main difference between the +1 and an actual residency in peds? Thanks!

1 hour ago, northo60 said:

Hi all, 

I am interested in doing either Family Medicine or a residency in Pediatrics. I recently found out that Western has a +1 in Child Health. Has anyone done a Child Health +1 who can compare it to a peds residency? If a FMD can tailor their practice and only see peds pts, what would be the main difference between the +1 and an actual residency in peds? Thanks!

It would probably similar to working as an out patient community peds consultant, as opposed to hospital peds.

Edit: 100% speculation

Never heard of the child +1 until now. Honestly not sure. The intent behind the +1 may be for rural physicians seeking more training in peds, who work in areas where peds access may not be prevalent. To my knowledge western is the only school with a +1 in rheumatology and I believe the reason for that is similar to that above.