Premed 101 Forums

Do I apply? Do I have a chance?

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this forum; loving it so far! 

I'm an older student (40), having just completed a BA (GPA 3.69), and am beginning a BHSc at the same university.  Given my transfer credits from the BA to the BHSc, my GPA is currently 3.90.  I work full-time (in health care, transcribing reports), and have continuously throughout my studies.  I also have four children. 

I am going to be preparing an application to med schools once the BHSc is complete (I am about half done, with transfer credits).  My concern is the EC's.  I literally have none.  As mentioned, I have a full-time job (10 years) and four children; is that an appropriate angle to tackle that part of the application? 

I'm really trying to decide if pursuing my dream is "worth it" in the sense of the time and money involved. 

Thoughts? 

Welcome to the forum! :)

5 minutes ago, Neurosurgeon_Dream said:

having just completed a BA (GPA 3.69), and am beginning a BHSc at the same university.  Given my transfer credits from the BA to the BHSc, my GPA is currently 3.90.

When you apply to medical school you will have to send in transcripts from both your BA and BHSc. The transfer credits, unfortunately, do not count as nil. What is your cumulative GPA factoring in both your BA and BHSc courses thus far? How many credits do you have remaining for your BHSc before you apply?

Which province do you reside in? Depending on where you live, you might have an advantage at some medical schools more than others.

There are also a few schools with weighted GPA's that only account for grades taken in your most recent or best years that might work in your favour. Your eligibility for weighting depends on a couple of things... What is your yearly breakdown of GPA and course-load (full-time/part-time) from September to May? 

26 minutes ago, Neurosurgeon_Dream said:

My concern is the EC's.  I literally have none.  As mentioned, I have a full-time job (10 years) and four children; is that an appropriate angle to tackle that part of the application? 

Yes, that is an appropriate angle to tackle that part of the application. Medical school applications factor in both structured and un-structured life experiences, considering their duration and level of involvement. You should include your job, your role as a parent and anything else that you think is applicable. For Ontario, this can include activities since you were 16. This means that you DO have EC's :) 

Thank you for the helpful reply, caramilk!

Technically my cGPA is 3.69. Because I am doing the BHSc at the same school as the BA, the school took some of the courses from the BA and applied them to electives (and some core courses) of the BHSc. From those courses that were applied to the BHSc, my GPA in the BHSc is 3.90. 

I am in Ontario, but will also consider elsewhere.  

I have 25 courses remaining until the BHSc is complete. I’m doing 10 courses this upcoming academic year, so 2.5 years left. I’m trying to select courses based on the MCAT, but also ones that will strengthen my GPA. 

I started doing the BA on a part-time basis, but my last two years of the program were full-time. Likewise, I will be doing a full-time load in the BHSc, and continuing to work full-time (I’m hopeful that has to count for something in itself?!).  During part-time years, my GPA ranged from 3.30-4.00, while full- time years ranged from approximately 3.70-3.90. 

So happy to hear that I actually have some EC’s!

13 hours ago, Neurosurgeon_Dream said:

I have 25 courses remaining until the BHSc is complete. I’m doing 10 courses this upcoming academic year, so 2.5 years left. I’m trying to select courses based on the MCAT, but also ones that will strengthen my GPA

Okay, awesome. Keep pumping out a high GPA for your remaining courses and then see where you are at when you are looking to apply. 25 courses should help to boost the cGPA a bit. :) 

13 hours ago, Neurosurgeon_Dream said:

I started doing the BA on a part-time basis, but my last two years of the program were full-time. Likewise, I will be doing a full-time load in the BHSc, and continuing to work full-time (I’m hopeful that has to count for something in itself?!).  During part-time years, my GPA ranged from 3.30-4.00, while full- time years ranged from approximately 3.70-3.90.

You should be eligible for a few weighted GPA formulas which is great! Based on your plan for a full-time load, you should qualify for the weighting at Queen's and uOttawa in Ontario. Western has a specific second-degree policy so you might want to look that up to see if you are eligible for their weighted GPA formula as well. 

Best of luck :)

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to say hi! It's nice to see another mom like myself wanting to apply to medicine. Sometimes I think it is an impossible feat with children so nice to hear your story. By the time I apply I'll be closer to 40 since right now I have a 4 month old. I'm 33. Though I want to slowly start studying and preparing for the MCAT now so I can ace it when the time comes. I have always wanted to apply to medicine but got married and had kids first so took a little detour. I wish you all the best of luck! Where are you applying?

On 8/30/2018 at 1:09 PM, Neurosurgeon_Dream said:

I literally have none.  As mentioned, I have a full-time job (10 years) and four children;

What caramilk said. At 40, I am sure you have tons of life experience, and taking care of 4 children IS an EC, so is your full-time job. Meds schools seem to want to see how your experiences made you a well-rounded individual, so can be anything you feel made you who you are. I would say the majority of my ECs were non-traditional stuff, as well as a minority of traditional volunteering and research stuff.

8 hours ago, Mama Bear said:

Just wanted to say hi! It's nice to see another mom like myself wanting to apply to medicine. Sometimes I think it is an impossible feat with children so nice to hear your story. By the time I apply I'll be closer to 40 since right now I have a 4 month old. I'm 33. Though I want to slowly start studying and preparing for the MCAT now so I can ace it when the time comes. I have always wanted to apply to medicine but got married and had kids first so took a little detour. I wish you all the best of luck! Where are you applying?

Best of luck!