Premed 101 Forums

Top ten entry question

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any insight into posting something in top ten that was a single event (would it be viewed as lesser since it isn’t a huge time commitment?). Essentially I volunteered at an old folks home for people with dementia playing games with them and talking to them and just doing small things  over a weekend. it made a large impact on me seeing first hand what a toll various diseases related to dementia can cause to so many people and sparked an interest in neuroscience and I currently do undergrad research in a related field. This being said would a single event like this be worth it to include or do they prefer long term time commitments?

I was going to write about my research separately and and then use this experience to write about other competencies, but thinking about it I’m not sure if it would be a “waste” of a top ten (even though it really meant a lot).

If you can write meaningfully about it then there's no reason not to use it. My Top 10 was a mix of single events in time and longer term projects. I wouldn't use all single events in time, but if you have one that really speaks to you and shaped your interest in medicine then it's not wrong to include it. You can always draft it in for now and if you wind up with another "Top 10" that is a better fit later you can substitute the new one in. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, MSWschnoodle said:

If you can write meaningfully about it then there's no reason not to use it. My Top 10 was a mix of single events in time and longer term projects. I wouldn't use all single events in time, but if you have one that really speaks to you and shaped your interest in medicine then it's not wrong to include it. You can always draft it in for now and if you wind up with another "Top 10" that is a better fit later you can substitute the new one in. 

Ok perfect thanks so much! I think I was just over thinking it slightly

Archived