Premed 101 Forums

Grouping activities in the supplemental section

Hey everyone! I'm really hoping someone with a similar situation can help me out on this: if you're an executive member of a society, should I list it under "Volunteer" or "Extracurriculars/Personal Interest". I've been listing it in the volunteer section just cause the EC section doesn't ask for references and so there's no way of verifying the stuff there so that makes me think they might place less value on that section (if that makes sense to anyone lol). Any thoughts? 

Each of the 4 sections on the Dal supplementary application is worth 5 points for a total of 20. So the EC section is worth just as much in terms of possible points as the others. I personally wouldn’t consider a club/society as a volunteer position and would list my position/experience under the EC section. Unless that society organizes and implements “traditional” volunteer activities on a regular basis. I’m not an admissions member though so I can’t tell you for sure. 

When I think volunteering I think organizations such as Red Cross, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Homeless shelters etc. and not clubs/societies.

On 9/1/2018 at 6:44 AM, Rahvin13 said:

Each of the 4 sections on the Dal supplementary application is worth 5 points for a total of 20. So the EC section is worth just as much in terms of possible points as the others. I personally wouldn’t consider a club/society as a volunteer position and would list my position/experience under the EC section. Unless that society organizes and implements “traditional” volunteer activities on a regular basis. I’m not an admissions member though so I can’t tell you for sure. 

When I think volunteering I think organizations such as Red Cross, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Homeless shelters etc. and not clubs/societies.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, Chels1267 said:

I think this highly depends upon what the society did. I participated in a society that raised money for the Children's Wish Foundation so I'd count that as volunteer.

That definitely makes sense! Thank you both so much :)

Archived