Premed 101 Forums

Supplemental form question

Hey guys for the supplemental information form, does anyone know what activities might be considered medically relevant? Like is it only activities that deal with patients, etc. Or would scholarships and captain of sports teams be considered medically relavent too in that I developed leadership skills, etc  ??

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

Dal defines medically related as activities where you had direct patient contact.

Then nearly every single one of my activities would have been defined as "non medically related"? Do they want applicants to just check the box for every thing they put in except a few activities?

Yeah, Chels is correct however the term “patient contact” doesn’t need to mean in a hospital or clinic so keep that in mind. Primary prevention and other public health related activities are also a thing and can be very much medically related in terms of “patient contact” without physically laying hands on a patient.

Also from what I understand, even if you check the box or leave it unchecked, the file reviewers ultimately decide if your activity is medically related or not based on an internal criteria they have. So if you check something and they don’t think it’s medically related, you don’t get punished. Similarly if they think something is medically related and you don’t indicate it on the application, they can still flag it as being so. 

2 hours ago, tavenan said:

Then nearly every single one of my activities would have been defined as "non medically related"? Do they want applicants to just check the box for every thing they put in except a few activities?

No? Most of my activities are medically related, I volunteered in ERs, nursing homes, children's hospitals, I even provide first aid at work if someone gets injured. Those are the kinds of things that are "medically related". If you don't have any activities that are like that then you shouldn't check the box. Rahvin13 is correct too, if you do/do not check the box and your activity isn't/is medically related the committee ultimately makes the decision. I've applied before and in feedback appointments they defined "medically related" as having patient contact, not physical contact necessarily but where you interacted with them. Dal definitely puts an emphasis on having what they class as medically related activities. 

Archived