Premed 101 Forums

McGill GPA CONVERSION FROM YORK?

KinderSurprise

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but posts I found didn't clarify enough for me.

I am having trouble converting my GPA from York to that of McGill. Essentially, I only have A's and A+'s whereas McGill has minus grades. For them, A= 85+, for York, A=80+ and McGill doesn't include A+, York doesn't include A-. Basically, I don't know how to classify my A's. Would they count as a 4.0? or a 3.7? Thank you very much in advance.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:02 PM, HoopDreams said:

For McGill,

A is 85 +

A - is 80-85

Therefore, your A and A+ grades both count as A which translates into 4.0

Thank you so much. Thus, the GPA is by their conversion, and not by OMSAS’s (since on the OMSAS chart, an A at York is 3.80, A+ is 4.0 so my ‘real’ GPA is around 3.95). It seems everyone in Ontario gets a boost then. I’m sure they’re aware of that and don’t use that against OOP applicants (?). 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, NathanG said:

Is this confirmed by the university or is this an assumption. just making sure

When you apply, you will fill out an excel sheet with your academic background. This will involve 1) listing all your grades by course and 2) converting these grades to a McGill equivalent grade. The user guide Mcgill provides (at least for the previous year) has an appendix with the McGill equivalent GPA conversion table. The last page of this appendix states that A+ and A from other institutions are considered an A/4.0 at McGill.