Premed 101 Forums

Confused about Abbreviated Sketch

Hi, just looking for some help on how to write the abbreviated sketch. I'm kind of confused. For some sections, the instructions say to outline concretely what you have learned (3 items), while some other sections don't mention specifically 3. Also, are we supposed to say how each of the 3 items will behelpful to a  career in medicine?

How are you guys going about writing this thing?

If each section does actually require us to mention 3 things learned and how they will help us in med, then can we do a bullet point approach instead of an essay?

Like this:

- what I learned item 1: here's why itll help in med

- what I learned item 2: here's why itll help in med

etc...

I'm also a bit nervous about how to write this. I've basically been dedicating a paragraph to each thing they mention though. So a paragraph for each "item learned", and then a final paragraph about why the experience will be helpful as a doctor. For the ones that don't specify three, I'm just dedicating a very short paragraph each to addressing e.g. "helping others, advocacy, serving community" and what I learned. Then a beefy paragraph relating it all to medicine. No idea if that's what they're looking for though.

It all seems very vague and hand wavy to me, but it's nice that they feel that they're being "holistic". 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, T-cell said:

Also, I haven't made an OMSAS account yet but for anyone that has, how long will it take to write this ABS for Schulich? How long is it suppose to be? Is it due by Oct 15? 

I think it takes a little while if you go at it piece by piece, its 8 entries at 2400 characters max, and yeah its due Oct 15

On 9/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, T-cell said:

Also, I haven't made an OMSAS account yet but for anyone that has, how long will it take to write this ABS for Schulich? How long is it suppose to be? Is it due by Oct 15? 

do that quick - the cut off is much earlier than the deadline to submit. Traps people ever year. 

3 hours ago, Abramula said:

I think it takes a little while if you go at it piece by piece, its 8 entries at 2400 characters max, and yeah its due Oct 15

I would say start pretty early. It is easy to procrastinate with these and you really want the time to revise, revise, revise etc. 

Archived