Premed 101 Forums

Recommended MCAT Prep for non-science background

OBnurse

I'm an RN in Alberta and just finished my nursing degree with a 3.9 GPA. I don't have any university courses in chemistry or physics and only feel confident that I can do well in CARS. I want to write the MCAT one year from now and apply to U of C. I want to do well enough on the MCAT that I don't stand out as a "red flag" for the academic merit of assessment.  Does anyone have recommendations on what resources to use for someone starting from the basics in the sciences? I am preferably looking for a video learning/study book combo. 

Has anyone else done well on the MCAT from a non-science background? What did you do and how did you study? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hey,  nursing student here who scored decently (512 126/126/130/130). I used khan mixed in with TPR and exam cracker books (practice is the most important thing regardless). It is possible to do well without prereqs but you have to put in the work and really target the material that is new to you. Also, I don't think your program will raise any red flags. If anything maintaining an impressive GPA in a super subjective major like nursing is a great accomplishment!

• 1 year later...

Hey there, I'm currently in the same boat I'm a registered psychiatric nurse and beginning self-study to write the MCAT hopefully in 2021, thanks for this guidance and any further insight into best prep materials for those with a non-science background is appreciated.

Current plan is to crash through Khan science subjects, supplement with crash course videos and course textbooks that I already have for the sciences.  Then I'll study with Kaplan MCAT books, etc (have done a lot of forum reading as far as advice on what to use but worrying more about fine-tuning that plan when I get there, need to smash through the courses first).

OP, let me know how things are going if you ever see this!! :)  and @Pakoon congrats on the 512!