Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicant, what’s the CARS goal?

7 hours ago, Atwood-45 said:

Hello all, 

my cGpA for McMaster is around 3.70, I’m wondering what CARS score would be considered competitive for an interview with this cGPA (assuming an average or slightly above average CASPer). 

Thanks in advance! 

I am also OOP. Similar GPA. It's lower than average so ideally you want a 130+ to compensate a bit. 

1 hour ago, vino said:

I am also OOP. Similar GPA. It's lower than average so ideally you want a 130+ to compensate a bit. 

Okay, I get my score back tomorrow and I was averaging around 130 before my test. However, I’ve been studying since and scored 132 on my last FL, and have another test booked for Saturday just in case, I’m wondering if I get 130 if it’s worth the risk to rewrite and try to go for the higher score to help compensate more for below average gPa.

8 minutes ago, Atwood-45 said:

Okay, I get my score back tomorrow and I was averaging around 130 before my test. However, I’ve been studying since and scored 132 on my last FL, and have another test booked for Saturday just in case, I’m wondering if I get 130 if it’s worth the risk to rewrite and try to go for the higher score to help compensate more for below average gPa.

Absolutely not, that would be a massive unnecessary risk. Once you get to a point where you can score 129-130 reliably on the FL's, your actual score on exam day comes down to basically luck for the 128-132 range. You could really hurt yourself if you rewrite. 

From a pure numbers point of view I don't think OOP is that much more competitive than IP. Medical schools generally tend to draw applicants mostly from local areas and their draw decreases as you get further away. Ontario is about half of English Canada's population, add on to the fact that anyone who did an UG in Ontario gets Ontario IP status, I feel like the number of OOPs isn't actually high enough to really make it that much more difficult to get in compared to IP. 

Archived