Premed 101 Forums
ninja7292

What extracurricular activities helps for CaRMS?

It's been a week into medical school and we're already being constantly bombarded with opportunities to get involved at different levels (e.g. mentoring programs, CFMS, OMSA, Medical students' council, etc.). I've heard that extracurricular activities during medical school look good on CaRMS but I'm not sure if it discriminates based on the activity. I would obviously get involved in something I am passionate in but if I had to only focus on a few commitments, I would rather have them also benefit me in CaRMS.

A bigger question would also be: What can one do to be a 'strong applicant' for CaRMS? Much thanks everyone!

you can find a bunch of posts on the broad topic of how to be more competitive. Perhaps its time to make a sticky on it.

In terms of extracurriculars, i really didn't give a damn about what kind of volunteering or committees candidates had. The attendings in our carms committee didn't bring up much of that stuff either. Had no bearing on whether we thought they'd be a good fit. Came down to whether we liked them or didn't.

Anything is better than nothing. As long as you actualy like that "anything".

Otherwise, depending on the specialty you're applying to, it might not matter at all if you've done nothing. 

It's ok to have sparse ECs if you are showing a balance in other areas of life. For many CaRMS reviewers it's a bit of a whole balance thing. 

My 'strategy' was largely to stay involved in my pre-med-life ECs and volunteering. The longitudinal thing had value. You hardly get any time in an interview (FM) to discuss this stuff, so that part doesn't hurt, as for the CV, I think being overly-involved could be a sign of poor commitment depending on how one reads it.