Premed 101 Forums

Changing details from past application?

Gironomo

Hello all! I am applying this year for the 2nd time, and changing some aspects of my application from last year. I have a question/concern regarding an inconsistency between my applications, if anyone can possible help me out?

I worked at an animal clinic overnight sort of "on call"-- often up to 12 hours at a time. The total amount of hours I spent was probably like 850, but of course, since I could sleep in between or nothing may be going on in the clinic, my "true" # of hours is probably about 400-500. Last year when I applied I put in 850, not thinking of the purpose they even ask for the number of hours worked. This year, I want to put in the approximate hours that reflect the true work I've put into this position. Will this raise any alarms at medical schools/OMSAS?

Thanks a lot everybody!

Honestly I would leave it at 850, but not because of it being an inconsistency. When you’re on call, you still are putting in the time and responsibility of responding if something happens, whether it does or not. 

When I was in the military, I would often have 24 hour duty and it was counted as such even if I got to sleep for some of it. I was still responsible. I’m now a student in allied health and I feel the same applies. If I’m on a 12 hour night and get to do “nothing” for a couple hours, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t if needed. Same with the physicians and residents I work with. 

You might be selling yourself short. Idk, that’s my perspective.

10 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

Honestly I would leave it at 850, but not because of it being an inconsistency. When you’re on call, you still are putting in the time and responsibility of responding if something happens, whether it does or not. 

When I was in the military, I would often have 24 hour duty and it was counted as such even if I got to sleep for some of it. I was still responsible. I’m now a student in allied health and I feel the same applies. If I’m on a 12 hour night and get to do “nothing” for a couple hours, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t if needed. Same with the physicians and residents I work with. 

You might be selling yourself short. Idk, that’s my perspective.

Agree with above. I would leave it is as is.

Schools won't see previous years application or question this.

Archived