Premed 101 Forums

Irish Medical Student- pursue clerkship in Canada or US

38 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

This is the wrong forum. Only for Canadian med students. Post this stuff elsewhere 

well we have a subform for that :) Still a med student question as well so I get the posting here.  I might move it to our other section. Definitely a legitimate question. 

9 hours ago, rmorelan said:

well we have a subform for that :) Still a med student question as well so I get the posting here.  I might move it to our other section. Definitely a legitimate question. 

It’s a legit question but can’t it be moved to another forum ? This forum says for Canadian med students 

3 hours ago, Aconitase said:

It’s a legit question but can’t it be moved to another forum ? This forum says for Canadian med students 

mostly but we do also cover people potentially coming to Canada for residency and, Canadians going abroad and hoping to come back at some point. We aren't that exclusive :)

3 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

USA 100%. Now with the removed limits and restrictions you can apply for.most specialities without any limits other than the self imposed IMG stigma. With a 260, and assuming your step 2s go well you can go for whatever you think is in your reach in the US.

Yeah the advantage is so clear there that it is hard to ignore. I mean that took work to obtain - it would be nice it could result is a pay off. 

Honestly, go where you want to go. If your dream is to return home to Canada, apply here, PDs are not Step 1 unaware anymore, especially for IMGs. There is room to enter your Step 1 score in CaRMS. If your dream though is to be some big shot US doctor, or you want to do a more competitive specialty where there are 0-5 spots in Canada for IMGs each year, go to the US. You could truthfully split your electives and still apply to both. You can for example do an elective at your top choice Canadian center. Apply to only that center, and focus your time on the US match. That way, if you don't get your top choice Canadian center, you can match to the US. 

Very importantly, note that your Step 1 score is just a number to get you through the door and for PDs to pay closer attention. You still need the whole package to succeed. The step 1 cannot cover for weaknesses in other areas of your application, so this does not mean you are set for the match by any means. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2018 at 8:59 AM, JohnGrisham said:

USA 100%. Now with the removed limits and restrictions you can apply for.most specialities without any limits other than the self imposed IMG stigma. With a 260, and assuming your step 2s go well you can go for whatever you think is in your reach in the US.

Do you mean any specialty? Isn't it extremely difficult to get a statement of need for most residencies other than FM/Internal/Peds?

On 10/15/2018 at 11:27 PM, JohnGrisham said:

New rules: There are no limits on the number of statement of needs, nor restrictions on specialties anymore. 

Do you mind linking / PM'ing any info you have?

I found this: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/health-human-resources/statements-need-postgraduate-medical-training-united-states.html

but it doesn't seem to state whether or not there are unlimited number of statements issued or not. They do say "NOTICE: Update for 2019: Administrative program changes to the Statement of Need Program" though...

Archived