Premed 101 Forums

Experience...Quality vs Quantity?

I'm currently volunteering in 2 great rehab settings (children's disability centre and stroke program at hospital). I have many hours and I'm receiving great experience but I'm worried that this isn't enough 'field experience'. Is it common to get an offer with minimal but quality experience? 

Not sure exactly how they weight it, but I'm pretty sure Western had something on their admission page stating that they consider those with physio related experience the highest compared to non-physio related experience, which makes sense IMO.

However, those places that you are volunteering at sound like they would incorporate some form of physiotherapy care. I think by non-physio experience they are referring more towards research experience, amongst other stuff (which is coincidentally, what I have).  

I think it’s better to have a few good quality experiences that you can talk about in depth in the personal submissions. A few PT-related experiences in different areas (ortho, neuro, cardiac, paediatrics, geriatrics, etc) would be great, so you can talk about them; what you did, what you learned and how they align with core competencies. I think I listed 5 experiences for my PT-related question, but looking back I think it was too many. I was able to show diversity, but because of the character limit, wasn’t really able to go into much depth about them on a personal level. 

Also, experience is going to be weighted differently across the schools. Queens for example will care about experience a lot more than say U of T. 

Hope that helps!

On 9/16/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rehab4Life said:

I think it’s better to have a few good quality experiences that you can talk about in depth in the personal submissions. A few PT-related experiences in different areas (ortho, neuro, cardiac, paediatrics, geriatrics, etc) would be great, so you can talk about them; what you did, what you learned and how they align with core competencies. I think I listed 5 experiences for my PT-related question, but looking back I think it was too many. I was able to show diversity, but because of the character limit, wasn’t really able to go into much depth about them on a personal level. 

Also, experience is going to be weighted differently across the schools. Queens for example will care about experience a lot more than say U of T. 

Hope that helps!

agree with pacho

Archived