Premed 101 Forums

How does UBC verify?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how UBC verifies? Like do they just show the verifier what you wrote and ask them if it's correct? I was in a rush (I know, I suck for procrastinating) so I just got verifiers' permission to write their contact info down but I haven't had time to show each of them what I wrote yet. I'm pretty sure they'll agree with my descriptions if UBC just sends them that and asks them to verify it but if it's asking them to describe and input hours for me themselves some of them are from such a long time ago they might have forgotten. Just wondering how the verification process is like; I will email all of them my descriptions and hours accordingly if UBC actually verifies everything by expecting verifiers to put in descriptions/hours.

I agree! Some of my entries are dated but relevant. I am concerned my verifiers might become mistaken about dates / responsibilities and create a discrepancy on my application. I have sent all my verifiers the 350 character blurb but these are human beings (and humans make mistakes all the time). Check out the warning posted in the Help Guide 2018/2019 below. 

Important: Discrepancies between the details in your application and those confirmed by the verifier are noted and may have a serious negative impact on your application.

Also, it states that using the same verifier is not advisable. I held three different positions in the same lab with the same supervisor over three summers. Will they deduct points because of the repeated verifier?

If anyone can provide some info it would be super helpful!

I've never been contacted to verify for UBC, but have for other schools. Every time I've done it they just email exactly the information the person entered, and then I just had to state whether it was accurate or not. Generally can enter comments if it's not accurate. I would expect UBC is the exact same. I cannot imagine that they would ask verifiers to describe the activity and then check for consistency -- that would be a huge burden on verifiers (busy professors would end up refusing or ignoring requests because of the workload involved), and it would take forever for admissions to code these for inconsistencies for 1800+ applicants. If you think about the workload involved, it's makes a lot more sense to only follow up on any activities flagged by verifiers as inaccurate.

1 hour ago, Yeeewww said:

Also, it states that using the same verifier is not advisable. I held three different positions in the same with the same supervisor over three summers. Will they deduct points because of the repeated verifier?

Don't worry about it. If they were your actual supervisor then that's the appropriate person to put. Although you might want to consider whether some of those activities should be combined, but if they were actually distinct, then it's fine. That warning is targeted at people who are overly splitting up activities, choosing less than ideal verifiers, or verifying personal activities and are just listing the same person over and over again. 

7 hours ago, Yeeewww said:

I agree! Some of my entries are dated but relevant. I am concerned my verifiers might become mistaken about dates / responsibilities and create a discrepancy on my application. I have sent all my verifiers the 350 character blurb but these are human beings (and humans make mistakes all the time). Check out the warning posted in the Help Guide 2018/2019 below. 

Important: Discrepancies between the details in your application and those confirmed by the verifier are noted and may have a serious negative impact on your application.

Also, it states that using the same verifier is not advisable. I held three different positions in the same with the same supervisor over three summers. Will they deduct points because of the repeated verifier?

I called and asked about using the same verifier. That is totally fine. They just mean don’t use a verifier to verify a bunch of unrelated activities. For instance, a verifier shouldn’t be validating a volunteer experience, work experience and hobby ... that wouldn’t make sense. It’s fine as long as it makes sense.

also I’m pretty certain all they ask the verifier to do is press a button to validate (or not) everything you’ve written for that entry. 

Archived