Premed 101 Forums

How bad is it to be a reapplicant for Canadian schools?

Hi everyone, 

So I was on reddit today and basically stated that I was thinking of applying this cycle (although pretty late) just to feel out the application process. I am only in third year right now and am sort of treating this like a trial session. A lot of my upper year friends and my friends' upper year friends who have gotten into med school or are applying this year have said it doesn't hurt to try applying third year just to see what it is like. But like 95% people on reddit told me this was a bad idea because being a reapplicant hurts my chances and that I should only apply if I feel like I'm ready (which I don't because I still need to work more on my ECs which I am doing so this academic year after the applications have been sent out). Most of these people were also US applicants. So I was wondering if this was the case for Canadian med schools as well? Thank you! 

Ok so it doesn't negatively impact you except in two very narrow ways

1) If you happen to get an interview at Ottawa and don't get in then you have used up one of your 3 possible interviews with them. This is a really minor concern at best because getting interviews is the entire point 

2) This is just psychological - the odds aren't great that you will get in which means rejection is a real possibility. If that happens you have to just shrug is off as a practice trail as you suggest. Some people have a hard time doing that - the obsess and get distracted by the process, and don't focus as much as a result on their classes etc. Rare but you have to know yourself. 

3) ha, I lied one more - you have to pay for the application

For most all of that is not as important as the advantages - making sure your ducks are in a row and yeah the practice. For many knowing they are applying makes them study harder for the MCAT and classes leading up as things are much less abstract. 

1 hour ago, unstablenakedmolerat said:

Hi everyone, 

So I was on reddit today and basically stated that I was thinking of applying this cycle (although pretty late) just to feel out the application process. I am only in third year right now and am sort of treating this like a trial session. A lot of my upper year friends and my friends' upper year friends who have gotten into med school or are applying this year have said it doesn't hurt to try applying third year just to see what it is like. But like 95% people on reddit told me this was a bad idea because being a reapplicant hurts my chances and that I should only apply if I feel like I'm ready (which I don't because I still need to work more on my ECs which I am doing so this academic year after the applications have been sent out). Most of these people were also US applicants. So I was wondering if this was the case for Canadian med schools as well? Thank you! 

Definitely not, med schools in Canada don't care if you are a reapplicant or not, but the biggest thing, is having been an applicant hugely helps you navigate the system and be more confident in interviews. It also helps you fix any mistakes you made in your initial application. 

Archived