Premed 101 Forums

LORs

sangria

Hi, brand new M3 here:

- Just spent a week with a consultant who offered to write a letter if I want it. It's in a specialty not in any of the core rotations like IM, FM etc. I was going to go with "the more the better" mentality, but looking at the carms website under early letters of reference, I can't even submit anything because I'll be in the 2020 R1 match. So did I read it right? I would have to wait a year anyway and hope that they still remember me? It's also early on in clerkship - I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much. So should I just let it go and then see in a year whether I still want to take them up on their offer?

- On the carms site, it says LORs can be provided by someone non-clinical. I've worked with someone who is quite well known on a research project in a field I might be applying to, but they are non-clinical faculty (PhD specifically). Would they be someone I should ask or would programs frown upon that?

- Sounds like you're off to a good start, being offered a letter. Do you think it will be a strong letter? Did you work closely with that person during the week? My inclination would be to accept it if it was freely offered. I wouldn't wait until a year has passed - you are correct their memory of relevant details would fade. They can draft a letter now and keep it on their computer until you let them know that CaRMS is ready to receive documents. If you acquire more strong letters during clerkship, great - you can use this as an extra letter for the programs which accept them, or an extra letter for programs at that same school in case your letter writer is better known there. If you run into troubles with absentee referees, you'll be glad to have the additional letter.

- I don't know that programs would frown on any strong letter. Might be advantageous if you're applying to a research-track program. Otherwise, you could treat it as an extra letter as above. Just check the specific requirements for each program.

22 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

-  Do you think it will be a strong letter? Did you work closely with that person during the week?

I honestly don't know. I'm new at this game. I've worked with the team mostly during the week (and I got along well with them), but the consultant was fairly hands on. They also saw me do an exam. Thanks for the advice!

Archived