Premed 101 Forums

H&P - keeping it quick and organized

Hi, this is very much a newbie clerk question:

I get that this is part of growing pains, but I think my note taking for H&P is a bit too cumbersome. I often use a blank sheet of paper and jot down a few things to remind myself to ask, and immediately upon walking out of the room I try to fill it in. I circle the pertinent parts I want to present. After all that is done, I sit down and write my note. Apparently this is tedious and takes up too much time? I'm not comfortable yet jumping straight to the chart. At this stage, how should I streamline it to make it faster? Any and all ideas welcome.

When an attending yells at you for taking notes like you are, youll change :). In seriousness I was the same way as you for the first week of rotation One, then I was "yelled" at for doing so and went straight to chart. No need to be perfect in the chart. Notes are written often and its not the end all be all if you miss something (you will!)

I assume you're just starting CC3, so give it time! Generally speaking it's most efficient to review the chart first, especially the PMHx and Meds and such. You can even start your note ahead of time with that. 

I will say that while taking notes is fine, make sure you're not writing a "rough copy" of your note. I've seen a number of clerks do that and does it ever slow things down. Eventually you'll just remember what was said well enough that writing all the stuff down won't be needed. It's better to listen. 

Archived