Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply to the English or French stream?

Honestly, with those stats you’re very competitive for both streams! At this point, you should choose the language you’re most comfortable using on the CasPer, interview and day to day basis. Don’t take CasPer too lightly, as it is an important component of your application so if you believe you’ll do better writing it in English and given that high GPA, then I would suggest you apply to the Anglophone stream!

6 hours ago, SuperMed said:

Honestly, with those stats you’re very competitive for both streams! At this point, you should choose the language you’re most comfortable using on the CasPer, interview and day to day basis. Don’t take CasPer too lightly, as it is an important component of your application so if you believe you’ll do better writing it in English and given that high GPA, then I would suggest you apply to the Anglophone stream!

Thank you, so is it true then that pre-interview all they care about is GPA and CASPer?

17 hours ago, Ibrahimcolors said:

Thank you, so is it true then that pre-interview all they care about is GPA and CASPer?

I can’t answer that with 100% certainty. Some say that it’s GPA, CASPer and ABS with an equal weight, while others say its only GPA and CASPer. On their website they mention that interview invites are sent out based on non-academic assessments (which would be CASPer and ABS) combined with the minimum WGPA set for that particular group and year. One thing I know is that its common for applicants to underestimate the importance of CASper when they have really high GPAs, but it is important so you need to give it your best shot!

2 minutes ago, SuperMed said:

I can’t answer that with 100% certainty. Some say that it’s GPA, CASPer and ABS with an equal weight, while others say its only GPA and CASPer. On their website they mention that interview invites are sent out based on non-academic assessments (which would be CASPer and ABS) combined with the minimum WGPA set for that particular group and year. One thing I know is that its common for applicants to underestimate the importance of CASper when they have really high GPAs, but it is important so you need to give it your best shot!

Thank you again. I'm just worried about applying to the English stream cause I see people with 4.0 or 3.99 get rejected pre-interview in the interview threads :/

Whatever youre most comfortable with, remember in French you will have to write the casper in French and interview in French. If you are not comfortable with that, go in English. The French stream will definitely be less competitive than the English but proficiency in French is a good predictor of outcome, given that your GPA and CV are competitive for both streams.

Hope that helps

Mr Duck

I understand! There’s a big possibility that these people didn’t do well enough on CASper for their GPA to save their application. I wouldn’t worry about your GPA or your ECs, they’re both spectacular! Concentrate on doing well on the CASper and you’ll be in a very good spot, regardless of the stream you pick.

With your stats, I would apply to the English stream especially if you are more fluent in english. You are VERY competitive, you just need to nail casper and you should be good. Also, the advantage of the English stream compared to the French stream is that the English waitlist moves be hundreds of people, while for the french waitlist is about 2-3 people max.

Best of luck!! 

3 hours ago, zackattack881 said:

With your stats, I would apply to the English stream especially if you are more fluent in english. You are VERY competitive, you just need to nail casper and you should be good. Also, the advantage of the English stream compared to the French stream is that the English waitlist moves be hundreds of people, while for the french waitlist is about 2-3 people max.

Best of luck!! 

2 hours ago, Executive-D said:

This is key

7 hours ago, SuperMed said:

I understand! There’s a big possibility that these people didn’t do well enough on CASper for their GPA to save their application. I wouldn’t worry about your GPA or your ECs, they’re both spectacular! Concentrate on doing well on the CASper and you’ll be in a very good spot, regardless of the stream you pick.

7 hours ago, Donald_Duck said:

Whatever youre most comfortable with, remember in French you will have to write the casper in French and interview in French. If you are not comfortable with that, go in English. The French stream will definitely be less competitive than the English but proficiency in French is a good predictor of outcome, given that your GPA and CV are competitive for both streams.

Hope that helps

Mr Duck

Thank you all so much. :) I think I will be applying to the English stream given that I need at least a month of practice before I would say I am at the level of French I was at before coming to uni, which I won't get before having to write CASPer. Maybe next year if I don't get in this year.

@Donald_Duck, est-ce que ça sera possible de faire des stages dans des cliniques francophones, même si je suis dans le volet anglophone?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived