Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eastofeaden

Community service reference?

Hey everyone,

Has anyone else in the past used a paid job's supervisor or manager for this reference? I'm a nontrad applicant who hasn't had significant volunteering after high school because I had to pay for my own education and later help support my family. I have only work references post high school. The paid jobs I've had all had a significant component of helping others and the community however.

Just trying to think ahead in case I am lucky enough to get an interview.

Thank you so much!

I really don't see a problem with it, the reference needs to be able to comment on your character/abilities/skills which can definitely be seen in a paid job, especially if your job involved community involvement and helping others, so in my opinion you should be okay!

I would advise you to read this: 

Who is an appropriate Community Service Referee? The community service referee should be someone who has supervised or managed you in a volunteer position post high school and who can respond to questions of the type provided on the reference form. The referee should be able to reflect on your non-academic qualities such as how you work with and relate to other people, your altruistic characteristics, etc. The referee cannot be a family member or friend. If your community service referee has supervised you in multiple roles, we suggest that your referee focus on the community service aspect when completing the reference form.

Source: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/11/References-Guide-2012-2013.pdf