Premed 101 Forums

Graduating...Now what???

Hello All, 

I was hoping to gain some perspectives on some of the possible routes I could take while pursuing for medical school. I am a forth year student with a first year GPA of 3.20, second year of 3.49 and a third year GPA of 3.880. I have an MCAT score of 512 with a score of 127 in CARS. I am fairly confident that I can obtain another 3.9 this following year but this would still leave me with a GPA of 3.73 (after lowest year removed). As of now, I am 100% sure that I could not see myself doing anything other than medicine. Throughout my undergraduate experience I have been doing research and had an opportunity to receive one publication. Although I like research and wouldn't not be opposed to doing a research based master, I am not sure if this would be the smartest choice since my main goal is medical school. I also plan on continuing researching if admitted into medical school (if that is relevant). Also, I would consider my extracurriculars to be standard, nothing extraordinary. Due to this, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of where I should go from here. Should I postpone my graduation and take a 5th year and increase my GPA? Should I go into a research based masters with the intentions of applying to medical school? Other Thoughts? Thanks for all the potential responses !

1 hour ago, ThatCanadianGuy said:

Do a masters. It will increase your GPA and it will look better than just doing a 5th year. As long as you're IP you still have a shot at getting in this year. It's all about how you write your top 10. 

Thanks so much for your comment! I will definitely keep that into consideration. Do you know how much (in terms of GPA) a research based masters could raise your GPA? Since it's not similar to having a structured course.

Archived