Premed 101 Forums
Buca

Consultation Fee as a GP

How do consultation fees work if you are a GP? For example, if another physician refers a patient to be seen by you, do you get to bill A005 Consultation $77.20? What about if you choose to have a focussed practice such as Sports Med or Dermatology and restrict your practice to only seeing referred patients? Eg. would you bill the A005 or the consult fee for Dermatology (A025 $72.15) if you had a derm focussed practice? 

2 hours ago, Buca said:

How do consultation fees work if you are a GP? For example, if another physician refers a patient to be seen by you, do you get to bill A005 Consultation $77.20? What about if you choose to have a focussed practice such as Sports Med or Dermatology and restrict your practice to only seeing referred patients? Eg. would you bill the A005 or the consult fee for Dermatology (A025 $72.15) if you had a derm focussed practice? 

My understanding is that A917 $33.70 is billed for GPs with Sports Med training. Can you bill the regular visit fee (A007 $33.70) on top of this?

Not sure about dermatology, but I don't think it would make sense that a GP+1 Derm can bill more per consult ($77.20) than a Dermatologist ($72.15)? 

Edited by ArchEnemy

It really depends on the province. In alberta it's about 65$ + x. They're not a bad thing if you set up a niche for yourself. I do all the joint injections in my clinic which others refer for; and it ends up being more because you also bill for the procedure.