Premed 101 Forums

Science prerequisites McGill Option 2

capri95

Hey everyone,

I am finishing up my undergrad in anatomy cell biology, not sure how to calculate my science GPA. Does anyone mind giving me the exact classes to include? The reason I am asking is that they mention how PHGY 209 is the recommended class for the science prerequs, but I did much better in PHGY 210, would I be able to replace PHGY 209 with my second grade? 

(did all my option 1 classes in CEGEP)

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, dentdreams101 said:

Hey everyone,

I am finishing up my undergrad in anatomy cell biology, not sure how to calculate my science GPA. Does anyone mind giving me the exact classes to include? The reason I am asking is that they mention how PHGY 209 is the recommended class for the science prerequs, but I did much better in PHGY 210, would I be able to replace PHGY 209 with my second grade? 

(did all my option 1 classes in CEGEP)

Thanks a lot

Pretty sure you could use either 209 or 210 for the PHGY requirement. You could email admissions to confirm. I'm not sure I understand your question though... It's okay if you took option 1 courses at CEGEP (I think MOST IP students did so); you could still enter them if you did well. Important to note is that Organic Chem needs to have been taken at the uni level in order to be counted as a 2nd option course!

Here's more info about the 2nd option (taken from https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites)

OPTION 2: Recommended University-level sciences
IF you have previously completed all courses in OPTION 1, and wish to either improve your science GPA, or if some of your courses in OPTION 1 have expired (older than eight years), you may choose to use OPTION 2 and complete the 4 recommended university-level science courses.  Note that all 4 of the recommended courses must be valid (completed within the last 8 years).  The 4 recommended courses are:

• Mammalian physiology (3 cr.)
  • Organic chemistry* (3 cr.)
  • Molecular biology (3 cr.)
  • Cell biology & metabolism (3 cr)

*For applicants using CEGEP courses to fulfil OPTION 1 Basic Sciences:  A university level Introductory Organic Chemistry is required for OPTION 2 Recommended Sciences. If you used a university level Introductory Organic Chemistry for OPTION 1, exceptionally, you can reuse this same course in OPTION 2. 

If you have completed both OPTION 1 and OPTION 2, you will be evaluated using whichever set of courses is the most favorable to you.

Archived