Premed 101 Forums

Competitive GPA?

3 minutes ago, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

We don't know all the details for Queens - they are a bit black box. Still we have people each year that posts info on their stats and some solid general history there to work with - that GPA I believe would fall into the competitive category. They have a history of using it as a cut off. 

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

We don't know all the details for Queens - they are a bit black box. Still we have people each year that posts info on their stats and some solid general history there to work with - that GPA I believe would fall into the competitive category. They have a history of using it as a cut off. 

Thanks! will look through the old posts. Yea, Queens is not really letting anything out. 

2 minutes ago, drager said:

Thanks! will look through the old posts. Yea, Queens is not really letting anything out. 

Yeah they have always been like that - if they don't tell you the rules they cannot be yelled at for breaking or changing them. Makes it easier as you can imagine. With thousands of applicants they don't have to worry about vague rules scaring anyone away either ha. 

Just now, rmorelan said:

Yeah they have always been like that - if they don't tell you the rules they cannot be yelled at for breaking or changing them. Makes it easier as you can imagine. With thousands of applicants they don't have to worry about vague rules scaring anyone away either ha. 

True, wish they were as transparent as McMaster and Western but It's all part of the game, shooting in the dark and seeing if we hit the target or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

I was interviewed ( and accepted) with a GPA lower than yours :) 

Once you get an interview, it is all about believing in yourself and showing confidence :)

Best of luck :)

On 9/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, drager said:

Hi, 

Thanks. 

You are absolutely competitive with that GPA - but that is just the key to the door - next step is to show your confidence and personality through the interview process!

It's used as a cut-off, not ranked. The reason it says "based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated" on the website is that those who don't meet the GPA to progress to MCAT + Sketch & Reference review will be at the bottom of the rank order list and will never move high enough to be invited for an interview (their sketch and reference letters are effectively given a score of 0).

3 hours ago, xiphoid said:

It's used as a cut-off, not ranked. The reason it says "based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated" on the website is that those who don't meet the GPA to progress to MCAT + Sketch & Reference review will be at the bottom of the rank order list and will never move high enough to be invited for an interview (their sketch and reference letters are effectively given a score of 0).

how do you know this? not doubting you, i have been going by what the website says and curious to know if there's anything else out there. it does make sense that they're at a cut off, since queens seems rather forgiving with the academic parameters (option of 2 gpa choices, taking best MCAT etc) after thinking about it some more

wouldn't they just say "based on sketch and reference letters, a rank order list is generated"?

6 hours ago, Gironomo said:

how do you know this? not doubting you, i have been going by what the website says and curious to know if there's anything else out there. it does make sense that they're at a cut off, since queens seems rather forgiving with the academic parameters (option of 2 gpa choices, taking best MCAT etc) after thinking about it some more

wouldn't they just say "based on sketch and reference letters, a rank order list is generated"?

well you have to be careful over analyzing the text on websites - I mean they aren't put together with the attention to detail that ha  lawyer or premed would have :) 

We do know from tracking what people have gotten interviews with and ultimately accepted with on the forum a lot about various schools even if they don't tell us - of course that doesn't mean that information is perfect or that the schools isn't going to change something at anytime etc. Still their actions are consistent more with a cut off than anything else. 

• 1 year later...