Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

We don't know all the details for Queens - they are a bit black box. Still we have people each year that posts info on their stats and some solid general history there to work with - that GPA I believe would fall into the competitive category. They have a history of using it as a cut off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

We don't know all the details for Queens - they are a bit black box. Still we have people each year that posts info on their stats and some solid general history there to work with - that GPA I believe would fall into the competitive category. They have a history of using it as a cut off. 

Thanks! will look through the old posts. Yea, Queens is not really letting anything out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drager said:

Thanks! will look through the old posts. Yea, Queens is not really letting anything out. 

Yeah they have always been like that - if they don't tell you the rules they cannot be yelled at for breaking or changing them. Makes it easier as you can imagine. With thousands of applicants they don't have to worry about vague rules scaring anyone away either ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rmorelan said:

Yeah they have always been like that - if they don't tell you the rules they cannot be yelled at for breaking or changing them. Makes it easier as you can imagine. With thousands of applicants they don't have to worry about vague rules scaring anyone away either ha. 

True, wish they were as transparent as McMaster and Western but It's all part of the game, shooting in the dark and seeing if we hit the target or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

That's definitely competitive. It's a cutoff, not ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LloydRedStan said:

Yes it is ranked. It says so on the website.

The queens website is pretty outdated so I wouldn't put much faith on anything it says there to be honest. Not saying what you said isn't true, just as a generality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ysera said:

The queens website is pretty outdated so I wouldn't put much faith on anything it says there to be honest. Not saying what you said isn't true, just as a generality.

They just redid their website within the last year and a half.. the old website was outdated but this one isn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LloydRedStan said:

They just redid their website within the last year and a half.. the old website was outdated but this one isn't

they actually copied and pasted quite a bit from the old website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, helicase said:

they actually copied and pasted quite a bit from the old website. 

I noticed that too. But I'm thinking - why would they add a statement, that wasn't even on the old website, if it wasn't true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 6:38 PM, LloydRedStan said:

I noticed that too. But I'm thinking - why would they add a statement, that wasn't even on the old website, if it wasn't true?

It is a cutoff tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

I was interviewed ( and accepted) with a GPA lower than yours :) 

Once you get an interview, it is all about believing in yourself and showing confidence :)

Best of luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, drager said:

Hi, 

My 2Yr GPA is 3.895 (3.9), what is considered to be a competitive GPA? Does Queen do ranked or cutoff for the GPA? 

Thanks. 

You are absolutely competitive with that GPA - but that is just the key to the door - next step is to show your confidence and personality through the interview process!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's used as a cut-off, not ranked. The reason it says "based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated" on the website is that those who don't meet the GPA to progress to MCAT + Sketch & Reference review will be at the bottom of the rank order list and will never move high enough to be invited for an interview (their sketch and reference letters are effectively given a score of 0).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xiphoid said:

It's used as a cut-off, not ranked. The reason it says "based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated" on the website is that those who don't meet the GPA to progress to MCAT + Sketch & Reference review will be at the bottom of the rank order list and will never move high enough to be invited for an interview (their sketch and reference letters are effectively given a score of 0).

how do you know this? not doubting you, i have been going by what the website says and curious to know if there's anything else out there. it does make sense that they're at a cut off, since queens seems rather forgiving with the academic parameters (option of 2 gpa choices, taking best MCAT etc) after thinking about it some more

wouldn't they just say "based on sketch and reference letters, a rank order list is generated"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gironomo said:

how do you know this? not doubting you, i have been going by what the website says and curious to know if there's anything else out there. it does make sense that they're at a cut off, since queens seems rather forgiving with the academic parameters (option of 2 gpa choices, taking best MCAT etc) after thinking about it some more

wouldn't they just say "based on sketch and reference letters, a rank order list is generated"?

well you have to be careful over analyzing the text on websites - I mean they aren't put together with the attention to detail that ha  lawyer or premed would have :) 

We do know from tracking what people have gotten interviews with and ultimately accepted with on the forum a lot about various schools even if they don't tell us - of course that doesn't mean that information is perfect or that the schools isn't going to change something at anytime etc. Still their actions are consistent more with a cut off than anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×