Premed 101 Forums

Online Courses

Hi everyone!

I just graduated in June with a BSc in Biology and I am currently working full time. I want to boost my GPA but I do not want to take time off work to go back to school right now. Could I take online courses?

I went to Western but I was looking at some online courses from UofT, would that be included in my overall GPA if I were to apply to med school next year?

Thank you!!!

On 9/19/2018 at 7:24 PM, rmorelan said:

depends on what school - most won't really look at them unless it is a full time year. Usually best to take a look at the overall plan and current situation to see what the next move should be :)

Ohhh that's good to know. I'm still in my 4th year of undergrad. My GPA is not fantastic but I hope to get it up to a 3.8 by the time I'm done my 5th year. I thought that schools would look at online courses taken after undergrad but I guess if they don't then I'll take more now and during the summer. Do you know what UBC and McMaster's policy regarding online courses taken after undergrad is just out of curiosity? 

42 minutes ago, vino said:

Ohhh that's good to know. I'm still in my 4th year of undergrad. My GPA is not fantastic but I hope to get it up to a 3.8 by the time I'm done my 5th year. I thought that schools would look at online courses taken after undergrad but I guess if they don't then I'll take more now and during the summer. Do you know what UBC and McMaster's policy regarding online courses taken after undergrad is just out of curiosity? 

well most don't consider summer courses either - online or not. 

McMaster takes every course into consideration. Not sure about UBC of the top of my head - it has been a bit since I looked at that school.

But I would encourage a full assessment of everything as I am sure you know all the schools hand GPA differently. You have to see what schools work with what you have and what steps are best of improving your application. Raw GPA is just the start. 

7 hours ago, vino said:

UBC will include all courses that are considered ‘university-transerable ‘ credits, including online courses and anything taken in the summer or after graduation. 

Agree with @rmorelan that you should review the criteria of each school you’re interested in closely — there are lots of subtle differences between the schools for the application criteria, calculations, etc.

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

UBC will include all courses that are considered ‘university-transerable ‘ credits, including online courses and anything taken in the summer or after graduation. 

Agree with @rmorelan that you should review the criteria of each school you’re interested in closely — there are lots of subtle differences between the schools for the application criteria, calculations, etc.

Thank you to both of you guys

Archived