Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
VictorLin0725

Residency based on University Location?

Recommended Posts

Any students who have gone through the matching process...does the medical school you attend affect the hopsital/location where you are most likely placed for residency? For instance, if i'm planning on practicing in Vancouver after recieving my degree, would I have a higher chance of getting into lets say "vancouver general" for my surgical residency if i was attending UBC medical school compared to something else such as McGill or McMaster? Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Any students who have gone through the matching process...does the medical school you attend affect the hopsital/location where you are most likely placed for residency? For instance, if i'm planning on practicing in Vancouver after recieving my degree, would I have a higher chance of getting into lets say "vancouver general" for my surgical residency if i was attending UBC medical school compared to something else such as McGill or McMaster? Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Victor

You are more likely to match to your home school, but outside of that things don't typically matter. People tend to match to schools nearby mostly due to their own preferences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Edict said:

You are more likely to match to your home school, but outside of that things don't typically matter. People tend to match to schools nearby mostly due to their own preferences

Would it then be correct to state that I have the same chance of getting into Vancouver General Hospital applying from UBC and McGill and I shouldn't let that affect where I go to Med-school?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Would it then be correct to state that I have the same chance of getting into Vancouver General Hospital applying from UBC and McGill and I shouldn't let that affect where I go to Med-school?

Thanks

No... did you not understand what i said? you have home school advantage, if u get into UBC choose UBC. If you don't, any other school is the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, for most residency programs, you will rotate (at least somewhat) between sites. You match to a program for residency, not a single hospital. As in, you would match to Surgery at UBC, not Vancouver General. As above, there definitely is a "home school advantage", but if there are reasons you prefer to go to medical school somewhere else I don't think you should let this sway you. There is a lot that can change over a 4 year program in terms of your preference for residency (location, specialty, etc.). Go somewhere you think you can be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Any students who have gone through the matching process...does the medical school you attend affect the hopsital/location where you are most likely placed for residency? For instance, if i'm planning on practicing in Vancouver after recieving my degree, would I have a higher chance of getting into lets say "vancouver general" for my surgical residency if i was attending UBC medical school compared to something else such as McGill or McMaster? Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Victor

I think you are thinking way too far ahead. Based on the other thread you started with UBC vs McGill for medical school. First step for you is to complete your application, submit and wait for interviews. Then your focus should be to kill the interviews. Finally, if you get multiple admissions, then you can start considering the pro's and con's of each school. Aside from having an idea of where you want to ultimately practice, you should not be focusing on residency until you are in medical school 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aetherus said:

I think you are thinking way too far ahead. Based on the other thread you started with UBC vs McGill for medical school. First step for you is to complete your application, submit and wait for interviews. Then your focus should be to kill the interviews. Finally, if you get multiple admissions, then you can start considering the pro's and con's of each school. Aside from having an idea of where you want to ultimately practice, you should not be focusing on residency until you are in medical school 

Thanks for the advice, I would prefer not to relocate too often so I'm thinking a little long term. I'm definetly going to be staying in the BC area so if there's any way to increase the chances of a residency there I would try and go for it (to be familiar with the hospitals and communities there as it is where I would practice). The reason for the question is because would rather stay in the same city (or at least provence) for my medical school and residency, and if it means waiting out for UBC to accpet me then so be it, but if the chances of getting a residency in the BC area is the same no matter which medical school you attend, I will most likely go to whichever I get accpeted to.

 

Cheers,

Victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, robclem21 said:

Also, for most residency programs, you will rotate (at least somewhat) between sites. You match to a program for residency, not a single hospital. As in, you would match to Surgery at UBC, not Vancouver General. As above, there definitely is a "home school advantage", but if there are reasons you prefer to go to medical school somewhere else I don't think you should let this sway you. There is a lot that can change over a 4 year program in terms of your preference for residency (location, specialty, etc.). Go somewhere you think you can be successful.

Good to know! I see a future for myslef in BC so the less moving I have to do the better. I'm not looking for a specific hosptial "vancouer general" was more of an example but if I can get a residency program with rotations in the Vancouver/BC area it would be ideal and if Medical school location can sway that possibility I might wait out for that oppourtunity to attend UBC.

Cheers,

Victor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Thanks for the advice, I would prefer not to relocate too often so I'm thinking a little long term. I'm definetly going to be staying in the BC area so if there's any way to increase the chances of a residency there I would try and go for it (to be familiar with the hospitals and communities there as it is where I would practice). The reason for the question is because would rather stay in the same city (or at least provence) for my medical school and residency, and if it means waiting out for UBC to accpet me then so be it, but if the chances of getting a residency in the BC area is the same no matter which medical school you attend, I will most likely go to whichever I get accpeted to.

 

Cheers,

Victor

I understand most of your logic however I would caution against rejecting an acceptance to wait out for another school. 

Your chance of matching to UBC for residency is higher if you go to Medical School at UBC. However, you can never be sure you will eventually be accepted to UBC. You should accept any medical school you are accepted at and figure out the details later. Keep in mind if you reject your acceptance and never get accepted again then your chance of doing residency in BC is 0%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to know how much of the supposed "home school advantage" is due to people preferring to stay in the same place for residency due to personal reasons. There are also students who attempt to match into their home school program but do not end up there. It's most important to be a strong candidate IMO; you can still target your residency program of choice through electives/summer research if you attend another medical school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyone above. First you should worry about getting into medical school. Until then, everything else is just wishful thinking. Second, I also agree that you should not turn down an offer with the hopes of eventually getting into UBC. That may be a decision you regret forever.

What most med school applicants don't realize is that as a medical student and resident, you will have relatively little control over your life (how much you work, where you work, sometimes even what specialty you will practice). All you can do is suggest your preferences, but at the end of the day, those decisions are all made for you. Took me a while to realize this, but its not one of the glamorous, advertised components of training in this field. It is good that you know what you want, but entering medicine, you should be prepared to make sacrifices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

It's hard to know how much of the supposed "home school advantage" is due to people preferring to stay in the same place for residency due to personal reasons.

I expect that's the majority of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 8:39 AM, robclem21 said:

What most med school applicants don't realize is that as a medical student and resident, you will have relatively little control over your life (how much you work, where you work, sometimes even what specialty you will practice). All you can do is suggest your preferences, but at the end of the day, those decisions are all made for you. Took me a while to realize this, but its not one of the glamorous, advertised components of training in this field. It is good that you know what you want, but entering medicine, you should be prepared to make sacrifices.

I'm not sure I feel like I have that much control as staff either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A-Stark said:

I'm not sure I feel like I have that much control as staff either...

Ha, I think people do over estimate the control staff has in many ways. 

If you are into all kinds of freedom as a primary focus medicine is probably not where you are going to find it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 8:39 AM, robclem21 said:

I agree with everyone above. First you should worry about getting into medical school. Until then, everything else is just wishful thinking. Second, I also agree that you should not turn down an offer with the hopes of eventually getting into UBC. That may be a decision you regret forever.

What most med school applicants don't realize is that as a medical student and resident, you will have relatively little control over your life (how much you work, where you work, sometimes even what specialty you will practice). All you can do is suggest your preferences, but at the end of the day, those decisions are all made for you. Took me a while to realize this, but its not one of the glamorous, advertised components of training in this field. It is good that you know what you want, but entering medicine, you should be prepared to make sacrifices.

This 100%. If you are someone who wants to live abroad one day, wants to live where you want when you want, or specifically wants to live in a big city, keep in mind, medicine makes this very challenging if not impossible for some specialties more than others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edict said:

This 100%. If you are someone who wants to live abroad one day, wants to live where you want when you want, or specifically wants to live in a big city, keep in mind, medicine makes this very challenging if not impossible for some specialties more than others. 

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind. I don’t mind some variety in location but would prefer to at least stay in the Provence I want...I’m guessing you can find a job just about anywhere if you have the patience?

Cheers,

Victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind. I don’t mind some variety in location but would prefer to at least stay in the Provence I want...I’m guessing you can find a job just about anywhere if you have the patience?

Cheers,

Victor

Its not about patience, its about a lot of factors: the job market, your skills and what you bring to the table, your specialty (huge huge huge) and others. I would say if you want to stay in your province, strongly consider if you'd be happy with a field like family medicine. Few specialist trainees get away with staying in their own province for their entire lives. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Edict said:

Its not about patience, its about a lot of factors: the job market, your skills and what you bring to the table, your specialty (huge huge huge) and others. I would say if you want to stay in your province, strongly consider if you'd be happy with a field like family medicine. Very few specialist trainees get away with staying in their own province for their entire lives. 

 

Is internal medicine general enough for abundant job opportunities? Other than family medicine, I think that would be the most “generalized” field in a hospital setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VictorLin0725 said:

Is internal medicine general enough for abundant job opportunities? Other than family medicine, I think that would be the most “generalized” field in a hospital setting.

non procedural internal medicine specialties probably yes, especially if you are willing to go rural. If you must be in Vancouver, then probably no unless you are willing to take a pay cut by doing only outpatient or waiting around networking hoping to get a position in hospital/procedural. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Edict said:

non procedural internal medicine specialties probably yes, especially if you are willing to go rural. If you must be in Vancouver, then probably no unless you are willing to take a pay cut by doing only outpatient or waiting around networking hoping to get a position in hospital/procedural. 

Thanks again for your help! I don't mind going rural becuase I would love to stay in BC for the people, landscape, outdoor activites, etc. Just don't want to be in the middle of a crowded city like Toronto or in the middle of nowhere (aka manitoba/saskatchewan)

 

Cheers,

Victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×