Premed 101 Forums

Interview

50 minutes ago, zenpanda123 said:

Does anyone have any insights on what UOttawa looks at for interview invite? 

Is it 1/3 GPA 1/3 Capser and 1/3ABS? 

Regarding the breakdown, none of us know. If any medical students do know by serving on admissions then they are bound to secrecy and would never reveal this. Anyone else is just guessing. I personally believe ABS is scored and factored in pre-interview, but others believe it is now only Casper and GPA based on the wording on the website.

Either way, put tons of effort into Casper and ABS for good measure.

ohh I didn't know they were bound to secrecy or that med students could even serve on admissions lol.  hmm guess it depends on the school..Mac is very transparent about what it takes to get an interview. I read a lot of posts last year when I applied that it was a 1/3 breakdown but this year no one is really talking about the ABS so I thought maybe it isn't scored/factored. Who knows.

10 minutes ago, zenpanda123 said:

hmm guess it depends on the school..Mac is very transparent about what it takes to get an interview.

You are absolutely right, Mac is unique in that their admissions process is so transparent for the pre-interview breakdown and selection formulae post-interview.

I don't understand how they can only look at wGPA and CASPER to grant interviews. If CASPER is considered on a cut-off basis, then only people with a really high wGPA should be getting interviewed. However, you can find people with 3.8x and <3.95 getting interviews. They must be looking at ABS or letters to do so, or CASPER is not considered on a cut-off basis. 

20 minutes ago, Premed_Girl said:

I don't understand how they can only look at wGPA and CASPER to grant interviews. If CASPER is considered on a cut-off basis, then only people with a really high wGPA should be getting interviewed. However, you can find people with 3.8x and <3.95 getting interviews. They must be looking at ABS or letters to do so, or CASPER is not considered on a cut-off basis. 

I'm unfamiliar with how CASPer scoring works. However, I think it is a combined score between that and your wGPA to develop a ranked list for interview invites. So if you had a 3.87 (not implying this is low) but killed CASPer, you can make the list. 

3 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

I'm unfamiliar with how CASPer scoring works. However, I think it is a combined score between that and your wGPA to develop a ranked list for interview invites. So if you had a 3.87 (not implying this is low) but killed CASPer, you can make the list. 

I have heard that CASPER is viewed on a cut-off basis, but what you are saying does make more sense 

Archived