Premed 101 Forums

TPR Vs Kaplan level of detail

Briannaxox

Hello everything, 

I know this is overkill at this point because everyone asks but I have a general question about TPR (2nd edition) vs Kaplan (2018-2019). I've been reading a lot of conflicting information regarding which mcat book set has a higher level of detail. Some say Kaplan has more information while others say TPR has more information. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me please. Does one book set indeed contain more info than the other or does it depend on the specific subject. If so, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am not worried about an overkill of information (imo it's better to have extra information rather than less -- I just don't want to miss any information. I also need a relatively comprehensive overview in org and physics as I've never taken org and I'm generally starting to forget the second physics material). Therefore, I want to use the set that has more information/detail for each subject as my primary source (obviously supplemented with other sources such as KA, AAMC, etc.).  In advance, thank you! :) 

I think it really depends on the topic for which book has more detail.

I read both the TPR (3rd ed) and Kaplan (2017-18) and I found that depending on the topic they either had too little or too much detail. For example, for the physics I and II stuff I found TPR to be a bit overkill and Kaplan to be a bit simpler and more straightforward to understand, but for biochem I found the opposite. I'd say if you're not too close to test day you can't do much harm by going through both sets of books. Especially if you keep on with the KA videos and do a lot of practice you'll do great!

Good luck!!

Hey, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. 

That's pretty complicated to tell then :D Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to read through both book sets, I wish I did! Essentially I'm just going to use TPR or Kaplan book set (undecided) as the primary source along with KA and  AAMC. So basically 3 things. But choosing between TPR and Kaplan is becoming quite the dilemma! :(  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived