Premed 101 Forums

How do i list my masters on my application?

I just started my MSc program in September and they typically go for two years but if I get accepted for matriculation in 2019, I'll make alternate arrangements to finish or worst case scenario, drop my MSc. But for the "end date" - what date should I put? The max it goes up to is 2019-12 and I dont want my file to be closed for Ottawa or McMaster (they accept first year grad students) because I put 2019-12 and not 2019-06. Help please! 

If it's a one year master's you should be fine, but if you are starting a 2 year MSc you should not drop out. That looks awful on your part and shows zero commitment, and they will not accept you for that. I'm only saying this because I am in my master's as well and am only applying one year in, and can confirm that it will end by next summer.

18 minutes ago, Premed_Girl said:

If it's a one year master's you should be fine, but if you are starting a 2 year MSc you should not drop out. That looks awful on your part and shows zero commitment, and they will not accept you for that. I'm only saying this because I am in my master's as well and am only applying one year in, and can confirm that it will end by next summer.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I definitely don’t want to drop out either. My Faculty makes this arrangement where I can come back the summer between first and second year med school to finish my MSc after having started medical school. So I would pause in June 2019, and finish in end of summer 2020. But for the purpose of this application, do you recommend putting June 2019? I really don’t want to spend 500$ on applications just to not be assessed because I put the wrong date for that, do you know what I mean?

24 minutes ago, teeezyyy said:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I definitely don’t want to drop out either. My Faculty makes this arrangement where I can come back the summer between first and second year med school to finish my MSc after having started medical school. So I would pause in June 2019, and finish in end of summer 2020. But for the purpose of this application, do you recommend putting June 2019? I really don’t want to spend 500$ on applications just to not be assessed because I put the wrong date for that, do you know what I mean?

Oh that's amazing. If I were you, I would have called and asked the schools that you are applying about how you can indicate it on the application. But for now, I think that you should use your best judgement on what to write. Sorry that I can't be of any more help, and good luck!

I note you already point specifically to Ottawa and Mac as your targets, but be aware that some Ontario schools such as U of T will not interview you if you are not finishing your Masters prior to starting Med School. They require your Graduate Supervisor to submit a letter in your application to that fact.  

Just now, Meridian said:

I note you already point specifically to Ottawa and Mac as your targets, but be aware that some Ontario schools such as U of T will not interview you if you are not finishing your Masters prior to starting Med School. They require your Graduate Supervisor to submit a letter in your application to that fact.  

Yeah thanks for pointing that out! I elected to not apply to UofT until next year so I can provide evidence of completing my degree if med doesn't work out this year. Thanks for your input.

9 hours ago, Premed_Girl said:

Oh that's amazing. If I were you, I would have called and asked the schools that you are applying about how you can indicate it on the application. But for now, I think that you should use your best judgement on what to write. Sorry that I can't be of any more help, and good luck!

Might call tomorrow before the deadline & ask.. Thank you for your help. Good luck to you too!

Archived