Premed 101 Forums

Confused Regarding USMD applications

Hey everyone, 

I'm having some trouble understanding how the rolling applications work for US MD as this is quite different from Canadian medical schools. Approximately when is the deadline for applications? Additionally, when is the latest time you can sit in for the mcat and complete your perquisites if you want to enter USMD in the next year following degree completion (year 5). I know it's different for each school I imagine but I just need a rough estimate. For example, If I complete my perquisites in the last year of my degree (4th year), how will they calculate my prereq GPA unless I apply in the summer after 4th year. This would mean I would get interviews in year 5 and get admitted in year 6. This means there would be a gap year (year 5) wouldnt it? I'm quite confused about the timeline for when stuff has to be done in order to transition into a US med school in the year directly following the last year of my degree (hypothetically if I get in I mean). I hope someone would be able to please clarify this for me. Thank you :) 

9 hours ago, Briannaxox said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm having some trouble understanding how the rolling applications work for US MD as this is quite different from Canadian medical schools. Approximately when is the deadline for applications? Additionally, when is the latest time you can sit in for the mcat and complete your perquisites if you want to enter USMD in the next year following degree completion (year 5). I know it's different for each school I imagine but I just need a rough estimate. For example, If I complete my perquisites in the last year of my degree (4th year), how will they calculate my prereq GPA unless I apply in the summer after 4th year. This would mean I would get interviews in year 5 and get admitted in year 6. This means there would be a gap year (year 5) wouldnt it? I'm quite confused about the timeline for when stuff has to be done in order to transition into a US med school in the year directly following the last year of my degree (hypothetically if I get in I mean). I hope someone would be able to please clarify this for me. Thank you :) 

This link sums it up pretty well. As a Canadian/non-US citizen, you should submit your primary and then secondaries as soon as possible when the application opens. Since applications are rolling, it is similar to think of it as a first come, first serve basis for spots. Canadians have a worse chance of admittance than US citizens so it is even more important to submit things in a timely manner to maximize those chances. If you want to enter medical school the next year for USMD, you should have sat your MCAT early enough to get your scores back that May when the system opens to apply. I'm confused, how many years are you taking to complete your degree? 4, 5 or 6?
If you want to be admitted after a typical 4 year degree, this is should be the timeline:

- 3rd year of university: if you did not write the MCAT the previous summer, you should sit for it this academic year to have your MCAT score released by May of 3rd year

-  Summer after 3rd year of university: Work on the application as soon as it opens, submit as soon as possible to be verified, work on primaries and secondaries ASAP, potentially start receiving interviews

- 4th year: attend interviews, receive acceptances as early as October 

If you haven't taken any of the pre-reqs, you should have most of those done before you apply. As a Canadian, you need to show that you are strong in all of the components of your application, including sGPA. This also includes clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Hope this makes sense!

Archived