Premed 101 Forums

Worth applying with 128 CARS?

Hello all,

With an introduction of new "Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch" portion, I was wondering whether I should apply i.e. write eight 400-word essays. From what is written on OMSAS, it sounds like Western is going to be using GPA and MCAT as cut-offs this year. What are the chances that CARS cut-off lowers? Or are essays just going to be an another screening process for those who meet 3.7 GPA/129 CARS cut off?

I just want to hear what everyone thinks before start writing these essays as it's a pretty big commitment!

Thanks all.

Unless it's a trial year (which doesn't appear to be the case based on their wording and goals), there's no way that cutoffs aren't changed in some way. Not sure if it's going to involve CARS specifically - maybe bio? Or a more forgiving total as opposed to specific section cut offs? Who knows, but the cut offs as is already narrow the pool to the target ~450, the essays would be moot at that point in reducing the pool.

3 hours ago, LloydRedStan said:

Unless it's a trial year (which doesn't appear to be the case based on their wording and goals), there's no way that cutoffs aren't changed in some way. Not sure if it's going to involve CARS specifically - maybe bio? Or a more forgiving total as opposed to specific section cut offs? Who knows, but the cut offs as is already narrow the pool to the target ~450, the essays would be moot at that point in reducing the pool.

The essays could be used in the post-interview pool to rank final applicants.

3 minutes ago, Gironomo said:

Yep. Unless it's a trial year, there will almost certainly be a downward change in the prereqs-- but this may or may not be a reduction in CARS. 

ha, which reinforces the notion that really we don't know much yet about how this will be applied - or even if the phrasing is perfect on the website. For Western not having a lack of information on how things are run is rather novel - I am sure it will logical but even they will be seeing how things pan out somewhat in real time. 

Archived