Premed 101 Forums
canada747

How do you study from lecture recordings?

I want to begin studying at home and skipping lectures. My university (I'm first-year med) posts the lecture recordings online, so I can review the videos the next day at a faster speed and take more detailed notes I think. How do you take notes when doing so? I've got a hotkey to pause when I miss something, but was wondering if you take notes on the PDF or elsewhere. Do you make flashcards simultaneously? I just need to find a more efficient way to study the material than listening (and missing the profs' details).

Looking for advice from the Premed101 heavy-hitters, @Bambi @rmorelan @Vendar

3 hours ago, canada747 said:

I want to begin studying at home and skipping lectures. My university posts the lecture recordings online, so I can review the videos the next day at a faster speed and take more detailed notes I think. How do you take notes when doing so? I've got a hotkey to pause when I miss something, but was wondering if you take notes on the PDF or elsewhere. Do you make flashcards simultaneously? I just need to find a more efficient way to study the material than listening (and missing the profs' details).

Looking for advice from the Premed101 heavy-hitters, @Bambi @rmorelan @Vendar

You're looking for advice from people who were in 1st year undergrad 8+ years ago (not sure about Vendar) when the technology you have didn't exist?

I’m second year, we also have lecture capture. 

I use an iPad + Apple Pencil and OneNote for my notes. I use picture-in-picture to watch the lecture slides at a smaller size, while listening to the audio and writing notes on on the PDF printout in OneNote. 

I’ll usually listen at 1.5-2x depending how slow the professor talks, take notes and pause/rewind to catch up or if I think I missed something.