Premed 101 Forums

MD/PHD Granting Institution

I see at least one med school in my travels that requires the undergrad to take place at an MD/PHD granting institution, but I can't see that requirement listed with any other school (specifically u of c) two questions

1) is this a common requirement the others don't mention?, or 

2) why would this stipulation exist?

I'm currently applying to undergrads but I need to pick my school carefully if this is going to be continually stipulated, thanks everyone!

11 hours ago, maplesyrup said:

it seems as though to me that it has to be specifically MD AND PhD, but I'm not sure. Very weird

I believe that this is just a fancy way of saying that the courses have to be ‘university level’.

I am pretty sure Calgary stipulates your last two years have to be from a MD/PhD-granting institution OR be transferable to one. This just means taking bachelor-level courses that you can apply toward a degree, and should include most university-level courses at smaller schools and colleges. The stipulation is meant to exclude certain types of college, diploma and vocational programs that are not at the level of a bachelor degree.

It’s a pretty common requirement across medical schools in Canada that the courses used for GPA calculation be university level. I am not sure if there are any exceptions.

5 hours ago, frenchpress said:

I believe that this is just a fancy way of saying that the courses have to be ‘university level’.

I am pretty sure Calgary stipulates your last two years have to be from a MD/PhD-granting institution OR be transferable to one. This just means taking bachelor-level courses that you can apply toward a degree, and should include most university-level courses at smaller schools and colleges. The stipulation is meant to exclude certain types of college, diploma and vocational programs that are not at the level of a bachelor degree.

It’s a pretty common requirement across medical schools in Canada that the courses used for GPA calculation be university level. I am not sure if there are any exceptions.

That makes sense! Thanks, I just wasn't sure if they would suddenly say something about a Bachelor's not taken at an MD-PHD, but since you can of course transfer credit, shouldn't be an issue.

Archived