Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Reputation?

It would be a severe mistake to select a school based on rank. Each institution has unique benefits that cater to their students, one of which for Queens is the small class size. Just remember that the global standing of Canadian schools will never have a bearing when competing for residency spots. Although UofT and McGill certainly rank higher globally, Queens graduates had one of the highest success rates for students matching into residency positions. Have a look for yourself, you might be surprised. 

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2018-R-1-data-snapshot-EN.pdf 

If you are fortunate enough to have a choice of medical school, pick the one that best suits your own needs. Ignore those ranking lists, they mean nothing. 

Queen's is a wonderful school with a structured curriculum.  They have a great match rate to competitive specialties and the school's atmosphere seemed very supportive.

When picking a medical school, I highly recommend picking it based on:

(1) Where your support system is, living costs/ the amount of debt that you will accumulate at the end of your education, not based on the school rank.

(2) The teaching style at the university and whether it fits your learning style or not.

Best of luck :)

3 minutes ago, End Poverty said:

Queen's is a wonderful school with a structured curriculum.  They have a great match rate to competitive specialties and the school's atmosphere seemed very supportive.

When picking a medical school, I highly recommend picking it based on:

(1) Where your support system is, living costs/ the amount of debt that you will accumulate at the end of your education, not based on the school rank.

(2) The teaching style at the university and whether it fits your learning style or not.

Best of luck :)

Definitely agree with the above. After all the exams are done, we are all physicians and we don't look too much at where you went to medical school. Pick the school that speaks to you the most and where you feel most supportive. Long hours and stress is best treated with fun, family and friends!

Just now, MedCoachMD said:

Definitely agree with the above. After all the exams are done, we are all physicians and we don't look too much at where you went to medical school. Pick the school that speaks to you the most and where you feel most supportive. Long hours and stress is best treated with fun, family and friends!

Agreed :) !!  

ha, I will add my voice to this - this idea of reputation is really overblown for medical schools in Canada for the most part - you can check out the match result for that and the LMCC scores as well to see that everything is very close. which makes sense in Canada - all the schools get roughly the same amount per person and government has a goal of maintaining quality. Some schools are better at particular types of research but then again the vast majority of doctors are purely clinical. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, McDoogle said:

Everyone always go on about UofT and McGill, but how does Queen's rank among them?

I honestly believe that every medical school in Canada will ensure that you receive a world class clinical education. As mentioned previously, certain schools have slight advantages compared to others in certain disciplines. 

Interestingly, despite McGill being ranked so highly, the program is actually on Academic Probation. This is a perfect example of Ranking not matching quality of teaching. That being said, academic probation is not the end of the world. It actually usually ends up forcing the school to tighten up the program and is usually beneficial to the learning experience of the students once the problems are addressed. 

With respect to the University of Toronto, I can't speak to the quality of their program since I did not attend. However this past year was a challenging year for the school with respect to the match. I think a nearly 28 students went unmatched this year. Granted, many of these students were going for competitive specialities such as plastic surgery. 

Having just graduated from Queen's. I can assure you that the program prepares you exceedingly well. Furthermore, Queen's graduates have a great reputation from coast to coast. I think one of the highlights is the Queen's connection. Every where you go, you will meet influential physicians who trained at Queen's that are willing to help you out. 

Finally, the match number speak for themselves. I have attached a chart of where my classmates matched. As you can see, our class matched really well (94% match rate first iteration, 99% after second iteration) and also matched to really competitive specialties (14 people matched to the top 5 competitive specialties this year). 

If you are lucky enough to be admitted to Queen's Medicine, you won't go wrong by accepting your offer. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. 

5aa7357d3c833_ScreenShot2018-03-12at10_19_06PM.thumb.png.41bcd07e23359cc4e419c8dad246708c.png5aa7381abfef3_ScreenShot2018-03-12at10_19_25PM.thumb.jpg.d15aca15fadc6389c28865914c80c3bc.jpg

Archived