Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Hi all, I'm wondering if you can please chance me. I had a terrible start to my undergrad but changed the way I studied halfway through! I am currently a PhD student. Wondering which schools you would recommend I apply to when I wind up my PhD in a couple of years.

Here are my stats:

BSc:

1st year: 60.4%

2nd year: 71.8%

3rd year: 74.3%

4th year: 88.4%

5th year: 91.4%

Started my research career during this time. Published 2 co-author papers and 2 conference abstracts.

PhD:

Average: 94.1%

Publications: 2 first author papers, 6 first author encyclopedia entries, 2 co-author papers, 2 conference abstracts, 1 co-author under review, 3 first authors in preparation, 2 co-authors in preparation.

Awards: Have won 10 awards totalling ~$120,000. Most of these were competitive and recognized academics, research, and communication. 

Conferences: Presented at 3 conferences and won 1 poster award.

My work involves directly interacting with patients at times and I often see patients with my supervisor who is a clinician. I have also directly transformed the treatment of a few patients (3) with my work.

Some of my extracurriculars:

• Hospital volunteering for close to 10 years with >1000 hours and train volunteers
  • Led a student club in undergrad
  • Currently volunteer for 2 charities
  • Volunteered for food bank

Thank you for your time and help!

At UBC, once you finish your Phd you will be considered an IP. One of my really good friends got into UBC as an IP candidate after finishing her Phd :) Your Phd will help you a lot at UBC by giving you IP advantage.

At U of C and U of A, you will probably score above average in your ECs and they will drop your lowest undergrad year. Just try to diversify your ECs even more + make sure you meet the min. MCAT cutoffs.

At Queen's they count the last two years of your GPA, so again you will have a good chance.

I'm not familiar with other schools, so hopefully someone else comments.

You are doing great work, keep up with it, and  you will eventually get in :)

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Definitely check out the schools mentioned above, and I'd also add Toronto to your list of schools to apply to. I know most Ontario schools are seen as GPA centric but they specifically have a graduate stream where they assess research productivity (you! :)).  Ottawa is another good school for this since they'll look at your last 3 years but weighting favors your last year. (1x score for 2nd year, 2x score for 3rd year, 3x score to 3rd year)!

What is your home province? For some schools eg. Calgary, you can go to their website and see how they grade and see where you might need to focus your application. Your app pretty well rounded, good luck!

To add to what others said, you could also look at western and McMaster. For both you would need to do good on the cars section. Western doesnt I think give any advantage to PhDs but they only need 3.7 for 2 years of ug. And McMaster i think gives a boost (4%?) for PhDs. They dont look at ecs that much so your CV wouldnt help you as much.

Archived