Premed 101 Forums

How competitive is OOP?

Hi I didn’t apply this year to Dalhousie but I am considering it if I don’t get in anywhere this year. I am just curious on how competitive the OOP seats are if anyone can share, I couldn’t find any statistics about if specifically.

for reference I have a 3.86 gpa on the OMSAS scale and 518 mcat currently but next year my lower 2nd year gpa wouldn’t be calculated so it would most likely go up.

2 hours ago, Colour_A said:

From this page: https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/about/class-profile.html 

Last cycle there were 15 spots for  589 OOP applicants.  Definitely not easy, but keep in mind your GPA and MCAT already gives you a competitive advantage over a lot of those applicants.  If you have a connection to the maritimes that's a big help too.

You really shouldn't look at it as 15 out of 589. It's more like 15 (or however spots they end up giving to OOP) out of 60 OOP applicants with a compelling maritime connection. That way, your chances look a lot more promising. A lot of the students in the 589 pool never had any chance of interviewing, which makes the statistics look more daunting than it is.

Also, the OOP applicant pool tends to have a lot of movement in the waitlist, so they probably end up accepting quite a bit more than 15 out of the 60 they interview when it's all said and done.

Ok thanks all for the replies! This is interesting to hear I’ve never looked into their admissions requirements. 

37 minutes ago, ysera said:

You really shouldn't look at it as 15 out of 589. It's more like 15 (or however spots they end up giving to OOP) out of 60 OOP applicants with a compelling maritime connection. That way, your chances look a lot more promising. A lot of the students in the 589 pool never had any chance of interviewing, which makes the statistics look more daunting than it is.

Also, the OOP applicant pool tends to have a lot of movement in the waitlist, so they probably end up accepting quite a bit more than 15 out of the 60 they interview when it's all said and done.

For connections are they just looking for anything related maritimes? I have some extended family there but I didn’t grow up there/ my parents didn’t. Halifax is realistically somewhere I have considered living after school as well since I really enjoy the east coast, would it be valid enough bring up that I want to have a career there long term? Other then that I don’t have much else. I would love to apply even if I had a slight chance.

Archived