Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites

Saturn

Hi,

Do any U of T students who are applying know what chemistry courses they accept for the prereqs since u of t does not offer an 2nd semester of introductory general chem. 

I have taken the following:

1 semester of of physical chem with lab

2 semesters of introductory organic chemistry with lab

1 semester of biochem without lab

Would this be accepted? How strict are they with the prerequisites? I emailed them but they take long to get back. 

Thanks in advance

Hey Fellow UofT student,

Their site states: The Office of Admissions is not able to assess your courses prior to your application. A determination of validity will be made only during the file review process. 

I think you need to take an additional physical chem course, your biochemistry wouldn't count anyways if it doesn't have a lab component. Also I'm going to assume you have the 2 physics courses as well.

I am actually using an AP credit for physical chem. UofT gave me a full-year's worth of credit for physical chem when I used my AP credit for some reason so I hope its equivalent to 2 physical chem courses.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your response! Its unfortunate that they won't confirm.

Do you think the two semesters of chemistry have to general or physical? I am unsure because they just say 2 chemistry courses and 1 organic chemistry course. I am wondering if my second organic chem would satisfy the chemistry requirement. 

I have 3 courses in chemistry with lab (1 general and 2 organic) as well as the other prereqs. 

I really appreciate any thoughts as I am trying to decide if I should apply. 

Thanks

Because they separated General/Physical Chem from Organic Chem in their prerequisites, I would assume that you can't use organic chem as a substitution. However, McGill's Chem program works a lot differently than UofT, they even say this:

• The University of Toronto has a different layout for chemistry courses when it comes to students who do not major in Chemistry. We are often asked how one can properly complete the chemistry courses requirements in this context. Many successful applicants from the University of Toronto have CHM138 and 139, along with CHM 220 and another chemistry-related course —including Biochemistry— that has laboratory work (e.g. CHM 217, CHM 238, CHM 247, CHM 249, BCH 370, ...). It is recommended that you speak with your academic adviser for proper course planning. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required course and laboratory work is/will be fulfilled.

so in the end, NOT SURE haha, it sucks that we won;t know until AFTER we pay our application fee... :/

• 3 years later...