Premed 101 Forums

Converting Credits to McGill Credits

Hi!

This is such a stupid question I know, but I want to make sure I'm converting my grades properly. I did my undergrad at UBC, so I have to use column #7. It says McGill uses column #8. Does that matter? Or am I just finding the GPA equivalent and then using the table on page 28 to find out the grade?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lame question! 

I am not quite sure from your question, why you are looking at McGill at all. Are you planning to apply to McGill? Or did you get a degree already at McGill?

If you did your undergrad at UBC, you look at 7. If you did your undergrad at McGill, you look at 8. This has nothing to do with which medical school you are applying to.

Hope that helps.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:22 AM, medabe said:

I am not quite sure from your question, why you are looking at McGill at all. Are you planning to apply to McGill? Or did you get a degree already at McGill?

If you did your undergrad at UBC, you look at 7. If you did your undergrad at McGill, you look at 8. This has nothing to do with which medical school you are applying to.

Hope that helps.

Hi! I'm planning on applying to McGill but I got my undergraduate degree from UBC. I've already entered my UBC grades, however, I need to convert them all to their McGill equivalents. If I use 7, I only get GPA (ie. 4.0, 3.90, etc.) and I need letter grades as well. That's why I'm a little confused!

The OMSAS conversion chart DOES NOT tell you how McGill Medical School will calculate your GPA, because McGill medical school is in Quebec. The OMSAS conversion chart will tell you only how ONTARIO medical schools will calculate your GPA. So, if you went to UBC for undergraduate university, and you want to know what an "ONTARIO" medical school will use to calculate your GPA, you look at column 7. If got an A at UBC, Ontario medical schools will calculate your mark as a 3.9. If, however, you went to McGill for UNDERGRAD, you would look at column 8 to determine how Ontario medical schools will calculate your GPA. For example, if you went to McGill undergrad and you got an A, Ontario medical schools would calculate your A as a 4.0. I do not know if there is a separate McGill medical school conversion chart, but it is not the conversion chart shown on OMSAS (as far as I know).

On 10/15/2018 at 9:27 PM, medicineandchill said:

Hi!

This is such a stupid question I know, but I want to make sure I'm converting my grades properly. I did my undergrad at UBC, so I have to use column #7. It says McGill uses column #8. Does that matter? Or am I just finding the GPA equivalent and then using the table on page 28 to find out the grade?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lame question! 

I am also confused, as I'm having the same problem! The workbook is not clear on how to convert grades. Have you figured it out @medicineandchill or anyone else???

On 10/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, Kjay said:

I am also confused, as I'm having the same problem! The workbook is not clear on how to convert grades. Have you figured it out @medicineandchill or anyone else???

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure if you've figured it out yet!

This is what I did - I also talked to the admissions committee and she said that a) what I did was correct and b) it's okay if you mess up because two people will verify your workbook for you. 

I looked at column seven on page 29 of the guide. So for example, let's say I got an A+ in a course. That translates to a McGill equivalent GPA of 4.00. Then I looked at page 28 and used the McGill equivalent GPA to figure out the letter grade. So a 4.00 means an A+. Does that make sense? 

2 hours ago, medicineandchill said:

This is what I did - I also talked to the admissions committee and she said that a) what I did was correct and b) it's okay if you mess up because two people will verify your workbook for you. 

I looked at column seven on page 29 of the guide. So for example, let's say I got an A+ in a course. That translates to a McGill equivalent GPA of 4.00. Then I looked at page 28 and used the McGill equivalent GPA to figure out the letter grade. So a 4.00 means an A+. Does that make sense? 

Do you know why on Page 28 it says that a 4 is an A+ and an A as well?

15 hours ago, medicineandchill said:

Thank you! This does make sense, I did the same as you, glad to know I did it correct!

Archived