Premed 101 Forums

I am an applicant this year too, so take my words with a grain of salt. You have almost 0% chance at Western due to being below the CARS cutoff of 129 unless off course you are SWOMEN, in which case you are almost guaranteed an Interview at Western with your stats, assuming that you have decent ECs and no red flags on your application. Your chances at Ottawa are very low with that GPA unless you apply to the French stream or do absolutely amazing on CASPer and have solid ECs. You have a good chance at McMaster since your GPA is above their acceptance average and your CARS is just slightly below their acceptance average. If you do well on CASPer, you should expect an interview from Mac. Queens is a black box, that being said, you will meet their GPA and MCAT cutoffs, so provided that your ABS was written well, you have a genuine shot. Last, but definitely not the least,  it's hard to gauge your chances at UofT. You meet the MCAT cutoffs, and your GPA is slightly below their acceptance average but it is well within the competitive range. Seeing that many 4.0 students are rejected from UofT each year, we know that they heavily look at their 7 essays (BPE + detailed ABS) and reference letters. Your chances of an interview there depend heavily on how many ECs you participated in, the quality of those ECs, and how well you were able to articulate and incorporate your experiences from your ECs into your essays while meeting all of the UofT clusters. Having strong references is also a must. Overall, I'd say that you have a fair shot at most schools except for Western. I'd suggest focusing on doing well on CASPer to maximize your chances, and keep working on ECs incase this cycle doesn't work out. Good luck! 

19 minutes ago, Baljinderthecrow said:

I am an applicant this year too, so take my words with a grain of salt. You have almost 0% chance at Western due to being below the CARS cutoff of 129 unless off course you are SWOMEN, in which case you are almost guaranteed an Interview at Western with your stats, assuming that you have decent ECs and no red flags on your application. Your chances at Ottawa are very low with that GPA unless you apply to the French stream or do absolutely amazing on CASPer and have solid ECs. You have a good chance at McMaster since your GPA is above their acceptance average and your CARS is just slightly below their acceptance average. If you do well on CASPer, you should expect an interview from Mac. Queens is a black box, that being said, you will meet their GPA and MCAT cutoffs, so provided that your ABS was written well, you have a genuine shot. Last, but definitely not the least,  it's hard to gauge your chances at UofT. You meet the MCAT cutoffs, and your GPA is slightly below their acceptance average but it is well within the competitive range. Seeing that many 4.0 students are rejected from UofT each year, we know that they heavily look at their 7 essays (BPE + detailed ABS) and reference letters. Your chances of an interview there depend heavily on how many ECs you participated in, the quality of those ECs, and how well you were able to articulate and incorporate your experiences from your ECs into your essays while meeting all of the UofT clusters. Having strong references is also a must. Overall, I'd say that you have a fair shot at most schools except for Western. I'd suggest focusing on doing well on CASPer to maximize your chances, and keep working on ECs incase this cycle doesn't work out. Good luck! 

He might have a chance at Western even as a non-SWOMEN. It looks like they're looking at everyone's sketch this year, which wouldn't make sense if they were going to reject people below the cutoff automatically. 

Archived