Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Current UofT OT student. I chose UofT because of the prestige associated with the school and placement options, thinking I’d have a better chance of securing a job in Toronto after grad (Which doesn’t happen. Hospitals and clinics in Toronto very very very rarely hire students out of placement) I am extremely disappointed with the quality of education I’ve received. Our lectures are extremely fluffy and lack substance and useful clinical knowledge that can be translated into practice. Many of our profs have not practiced OT in 10-20 years, and seem to push models and frameworks that they wrote themselves (and are seldom actually used in practice). 60-70% of lectures are given by guest lecturers (sometimes they don’t even show up) and we learn zero hands on skills in class. By the end of the year, most people stop coming to class because it’s a waste of time and you can read off the slides yourself at home. Our anatomy exam was in the form of a bellringer which numerous people failed. However, marks don’t even matter because they let everyone continue with the program. During placement, preceptors will ask if you know x or have learned about y in class, and the answer is always no. We have few labs that teach us very introductory concepts to skills that I think are absolutely paramount for us to know (ie transfers, prescribing wheelchairs, assessing motor function, etc). 

Anyway, I have a lot more I could say about this program. Feel free to DM me.

27 minutes ago, RegrettableOT said:

Current UofT OT student. I chose UofT because of the prestige associated with the school and placement options, thinking I’d have a better chance of securing a job in Toronto after grad (Which doesn’t happen. Hospitals and clinics in Toronto very very very rarely hire students out of placement) I am extremely disappointed with the quality of education I’ve received. Our lectures are extremely fluffy and lack substance and useful clinical knowledge that can be translated into practice. Many of our profs have not practiced OT in 10-20 years, and seem to push models and frameworks that they wrote themselves (and are seldom actually used in practice). 60-70% of lectures are given by guest lecturers (sometimes they don’t even show up) and we learn zero hands on skills in class. By the end of the year, most people stop coming to class because it’s a waste of time and you can read off the slides yourself at home. Our anatomy exam was in the form of a bellringer which numerous people failed. However, marks don’t even matter because they let everyone continue with the program. During placement, preceptors will ask if you know x or have learned about y in class, and the answer is always no. We have few labs that teach us very introductory concepts to skills that I think are absolutely paramount for us to know (ie transfers, prescribing wheelchairs, assessing motor function, etc). 

Anyway, I have a lot more I could say about this program. Feel free to DM me.

Why not just say it on here? You've posted this twice already. Unless you're on waitlist trying to get others to back out ;) 

28 minutes ago, PPTTT said:

Why not just say it on here? You've posted this twice already. Unless you're on waitlist trying to get others to back out ;) 

The fact you think someone would waste their time making up random accounts to scare people off is pretty pathetic. I’m sharing my experience because i didn’t know any of this coming in and I wish someone had told me. Honestly idc if you think I’m a waitlist, if you get into the program you can see for yourself if what I’m saying is true. Feel free to look up the Facebook groups for the current classes and ask them too 

4 hours ago, nextOT said:

Generally 8-10 spots, did they give you a number?

They don't, and they said to refrain from asking that question. Man, waiting for an update is making me so anxious. I keep checking my email every 30 minutes LOL. But thanks by the way for your replies here (and the other forum!).

Unfortunately all of this is true. I’m currently at UofT St. George for OT. There are a lot of details that this person wouldn’t know given they were just on the waitlist. There are so many wrong things going on and I’m glad they’re being brought to the surface. This program isn’t what it’s made out to be and students deserve to know what they’re getting into. I’m sure there are problems going on at other schools as well. I wish everyone was as open to discussing this.

Also, UofT rarely accepts students off the waitlist as they tend to accept more than the maximum number of students thinking some will decline. So if any of the posts are just trying to scare off potential applicants, it’s a futile effort.

55 minutes ago, chubbybunnyx said:

Unfortunately all of this is true. I’m currently at UofT St. George for OT. There are a lot of details that this person wouldn’t know given they were just on the waitlist. There are so many wrong things going on and I’m glad they’re being brought to the surface. This program isn’t what it’s made out to be and students deserve to know what they’re getting into. I’m sure there are problems going on at other schools as well. I wish everyone was as open to discussing this.

Also, UofT rarely accepts students off the waitlist as they tend to accept more than the maximum number of students thinking some will decline. So if any of the posts are just trying to scare off potential applicants, it’s a futile effort.

UofT sends acceptances out to more students than they have space for because they account for people who will reject the offers. In my year, they did this but they underestimated the amount of people who rejected the offer. As a result, our class exceeded the class number by ~15. I've seen students sit on the floor because there were not enough seats for mandatory classes. 

1 hour ago, RegrettableOT said:

The fact you think someone would waste their time making up random accounts to scare people off is pretty pathetic. I’m sharing my experience because i didn’t know any of this coming in and I wish someone had told me. Honestly idc if you think I’m a waitlist, if you get into the program you can see for yourself if what I’m saying is true. Feel free to look up the Facebook groups for the current classes and ask them too 

Why are you taking this so personally? You didn't answer my question regarding why not post it on here? Perhaps you can provide a general overview of the program that you don't like?

32 minutes ago, DoNotGoToUofT said:

UofT sends acceptances out to more students than they have space for because they account for people who will reject the offers. In my year, they did this but they underestimated the amount of people who rejected the offer. As a result, our class exceeded the class number by ~15. I've seen students sit on the floor because there were not enough seats for mandatory classes. 

Unfortunately I think every school over accepts students. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT (UofT, Western, Queens) and OT (McMaster, UofT, Queens)
Accepted: PT- UofT, Queens  OT- McMaster 
Waitlisted: PT- Western (middle third) OT- UofT
Rejected: OT- Queens
GPA: cGPA: 3.7  3.55           sGPA: 3.88 3.85
Updated this for future years reference!

I firmly accepted PT at UofT 

3 hours ago, waitlisted204 said:

They don't, and they said to refrain from asking that question. Man, waiting for an update is making me so anxious. I keep checking my email every 30 minutes LOL. But thanks by the way for your replies here (and the other forum!).

No problem! Answers are due on Tuesday so calls might go in the days following, best of luck!!

First round offers expire may 31st, which means that if you don't accept McMaster OT, your completely relying on Western to go through its wait list (Which is what im doing since i didn't get offers anywhere else). 

I've called western multiple times to ask if they can give me any info on its wait-list trends and etc. but they wont disclose anything. All I know is that they over accept in anticipation of people not accepting their offers and since they removed English as their prerequisite they have more applicants now and are giving out more offers this year then previous years. 

So unless your willing to risk a year off accepting OT would be your best option. Best of luck on whatever you decide though.

BTW im also in the upper third with a sub-GPA of 3.89 so im hoping that Im closer to the top of the wait list